• Register Today It's free!

Hub not locking need help

Jlaudio_explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Bellflower, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 4x4 xlt
i just moved and i don't have internet and cant get it because i live in BFE! i am posting from my phone and don't have time to search and see if this question has been answered on this crazy slow internet. The problem is i just did extensive work on the passenger side of my ttb. I had my truck apart for a while and parts were everywhere. My hub wont lock because the axle shaft doesn't stick out far enough to go into the hub. I have a c clip on the axle shaft but it will just slide back into the spindle. Is there something I'm missing? Any help would be much appreciated. I bought this truck to use off road and have yet to use it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't really understand what's going on.. If the axle isn't sticking far enough out past the spindle get a BIG screw driver or other prying tool and pry it out at the u-joint. I wouldn't push on the u-joint and be careful of the axle seal.

sounds like you are missing the flat, splined washer. it is supposed to go between the circlip (snapring, whatever you want to call it that goes aroung the axleshaft) and the spindle.

This thread pictures the washer and circlip in the first post. Push the shaft out from the back of the steering knuckle, should be just hand pressure to make it come out enough to put the washer and circlip on. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=236841

Thanks! The picture really helped. I don't remember that part but its been months since i pulled it all apart. I'm going to go look in my old garage for that part. Hope it fixes the problem. Ill post if i find it or have anymore questions. Thanks again!

Yeah there it was right in the middle of my old garage floor. I put it on and took it to a tiny nearby off road park. It was lots of fun! I even went up 2 hills built for 4 wheelers because the truck hills I could almost do in 2wd. Thanks for the help I am glad to have the 4wd back after about 800 dollars and lots of hard weekends. It would figure a washer would stop me.

Back