hub or xfer case problem?

leafian

Reaction score
City, State
Markham, Ontario Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer Limited
Hi everyone,

I just got a 94 Limited and now I find out that in 4x4 mode, there's a grinding sound. It has the Warn manual hubs.
When I put it in Free mode and push the 4x4 button, there's no grinding sound. Does that mean it's the hubs that are bad? or could it still be the xfer case? Maybe it's low on oil cause when I first got it, I saw a leak on my driveway that I thought smelled like brake fluid.

How can you tell if it's the hub or transfer case ? Would I cause further damage by putting the hubs in Free mode and not using the 4x4?
Forecast of a heavy snow storm this week :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where is the sound coming from? You should check the fluid level in the transfer case, if it is low it takes mercon automatic transmisson fluid.
The warn manual hubs are pretty tough.
Joe

Sounds like it's coming from the front.
Could low oil in front diff cause this?
I noticed oil on my driveway when I first got it.
It wasn't red so it could be the front diff oil leaking out.
If it is low diff oil, is it ok to drive it (not in 4wd) until I can bring it to a garage to get fixed?

As long as the front hubs are unlocked/free and you are in 2wd you should be fine.
Joe

your transfer case is used regardless of being in 2 wheel drive or wheel drive. it still needs to send power to the rear wheels. ;)

i doubt your t-case is the problem. lock your hubs and drive around in 2wd to see if it still makes the noise. noisey front ends with 4x4 engaged on first gen explorers usually mean bad front univeral joints.

in any event, you should check all your fluids, front and rear dif, transfer case, coolant, etc... esp if the vehicle is new to you.

I've driven around with the hubs locked in 2wd mode and there's no grinding. So what does that mean?
Bad hubs or xfer case?

Leave your hubs unlocked and shift the transfer case into 4WD and see if hear the grinding. Did you check your fluid levels?
Joe

I tried it unlocked in 4wd mode and no grinding.
Haven't checked the level yet. Kinda messy now.

When you check the fluid level look in the hole and see if you see any metal shavings. you may also want to enlist a friend to listen outside the vehicle to narrow down the grinding area.
Joe

Back