• Register Today It's free!

hub problem

Xplorininmud

Reaction score
City, State
Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport
Im not sure what the problem is but I think my hub might be locked in. Whenever I start driving it makes the whining sound and a click/pop whenever i turn sharply and has a bit of a jump. Ive tried reversing and everything to get it undone but I cant seem to fix it. Whenever I get going around 45-50 and then slow down it will drive like normal. Any ideas as to what the problem is? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

possibly a wheel bearing? seems odd though... your wheel bearings are a sealed unit and you dont have conventional hubs that lock or unlock....

From what I understand, the '97 doesn't have any mechanism for disengaging the front end.
That said, a "click/pop" when turning sounds like a bad CV joint.

MrShorty said:
From what I understand, the '97 doesn't have any mechanism for disengaging the front end.
That said, a "click/pop" when turning sounds like a bad CV joint.

ah... good point.... check the CVs i have never heard of any of them going bad on trucks, but they always go bad on toyota cars and hondas that are FWD

Mrshorty is correct, that you do not have autohubs. 95+ models have solid hubs. It does sound like you are engaged in 4wd, which is possible since 97's have 2auto, the transfercase could possilby think it needs to go into 4wd, and that is why it's acting the way it is. 4wd is engaged by the transfer case solenoid. The ABS sensors are used by the computer to tell if there is slipage and the computer engages the solenoid in the transfercase. The question now is why. I know that sometimes the solenoid will not disengage. I have had this problem once. Took a rubber hammer and beat the side of the front portion of the t-case and that worked.
Does this happen often? once? twice? Did this start happening after going 4wheeling? Please give as much details as you can.
Right now I'm thinking the solenoid in the t-case is your problem, but it would help if you could give more detail.

Back