Hub problems on my 89 Ranger. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hub problems on my 89 Ranger.

Eric Collins

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1989 ranger 302
I got an 89 ranger 4x4 XLT with a 302. The automatic hubs went out so I replaced them with WARN manual locking hubs and everytime I put it in 4wheel the driver front hub explodes anyone know of a hub that will last?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got an 89 ranger 4x4 XLT with a 302. The automatic hubs went out so I replaced them with WARN manual locking hubs and everytime I put it in 4wheel the driver front hub explodes anyone know of a hub that will last?

...A little more info on your hub swap might help...:dunno:

...What model model hubs did you install and what spindle nut kit???...You are saying that as soon as you drive in 4wd, the hub just explodes???...Do you have any other modifications up front???

...I am curious why you would still have a Dana 28 front end with a 302..Unless you also did a Dana 35 swap and left that info out also...:scratch:

Ranger hubs

As you can imagine my truck is a work in progress I know I need a better front end cause I still have the Dana 28. But that doesn't mean that I can't even put it in 4-wheel does it? I'm not exactly sure if you go to the WARN website it's the only hub available for an 89 ranger it has the cast body which is what keeps breaking as for the spindle nut I don't know Sam's offroad put them on so I just figured that they knew what they were doing? The warn hub is the only hub I've been able to find for it. Dana 28 or not if I lock it in 4-wheel and put it in gear and don't even touch the gas it should NOT explode should it?

i would take it back to "Sam's offroad" if they worked on it last.

..Eric, where are you located??

...For reference on hubs, this thread may be useful...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232754

...IMO, The hubs work like a sheer pin to keep you from breaking other parts...Even though you have a 302 in it, I wouldn't think you would just grenade them unless your front end was modified (welded, locked) ...

...Your hubs have a lifetime guarantee and you can turn them in for replacements in pairs....I still think there is another problem going on though but with the Dana 28, I'm not totally sure myself what the pronlem is...:scratch:

If I was to just say screw it and upgrade the front end what should I upgrade too and how much would it cost and most important would it fix the hub problem and get me back in the mudd? Thanx for your help guys! I'm located in Tulsa

...You still haven't mentioned if you have modified the front end at all...What size tires are you running???

...Just a couple thoughts but, I would think you could swap a Dana 35 for the cheapest swap...That would get you going pretty well...The next upgrade would be a Dana44 SAS which may take some time and money...

The front end is just stock. It's a carburated 302, Dana 28, 35" Mickey Thompson MTZ's, on Mickey Thompson Classic II beadlocks, 8 inch Skyjacker lift, 7.5 rear (i know that needs upgraded too) I just don't know which way to go how much each would cost ect..

Dana35 swap + 5-760X u-joints + Warn #37780 Jeep hubs = end-of-issue.

Well, end of the axle & hub issue anyway... that 8" suspension lift has it's own set of issues, I'd drop down to 6" lift if it was mine... (maybe add a 2" body lift to make up for it) Trying to get the steering linkage angle even remotely close to correct is basically impossible with that much lift.

Should I get a Dana 35 from a junk yard Explorer? Is there a certain year that I should look for or avoid? Any Idea of what I would be looking at price wise?

Back