hubcentric / spigot rings and steel rims | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

hubcentric / spigot rings and steel rims

Hey guys.

Quick question. Just ordered some nerw steel rims with a lug pattern that fits. But they´re generic ones and im pretty sure i will find the centerbore somewhat bigger.. And.. its steel rims, so i need some advice here. Should i get some hubcentric/spigot rings to go with the rims? I cant stop thinking about the studs getting sheered off or something.. Im going to africa in this truck soon, so i want it to be fine.

Anyone runs fine with this setup without these darn rings??

I need some input..

Thanks, guys.

Ole

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great idea considering the use of hubcentric rings, but I have never seen them used with steel wheels...

Explorers, and most trucks/SUVs in general are lug-centric, so there is little to be gained from using hub-centering rings on wheels for them, other than possibly some better high speed ability.

Hub centering rings are almost exclusively for alloy rims, as various manufacturers have their own center bore diameters for rings to fit various makes and models.

Steel wheels tend to have their center bore opening made to spec for the particular vehicle/vehicles they are designed to fit.

Bottom line, you're probably running steel lug-centric wheels on a vehicle made to use lug-centric wheels. Even the factory alloy wheels on Explorers just have a cut-out center hole and are exclusively lug-centric.

Unless you plan on doing some really high speed driving to or in Africa, you don't need to worry about getting hubcentric wheels or hubcentric rings for universal alloy wheels.

Ok..

So basicly. If the centerbore is bigger i shouldnt worry too much? Even though the whole weight of the vehicle is carried on the studs alone?

This is what i dont find very clever.. ? But if anyone can tell me theyre doing this without any issues at all, well.. It would make me happy..

Thanks,

Most vehicles that use hubcentric rings are lighter weight compact cars, and ones of the high performance variety.

Trucks, buses, and lots of heavy, heavy duty applications use lug-centric wheels exclusively with no problems.

Like I said, the stock design on Explorers, and Ford/Chevy/Dodge trucks and SUVs is lug-centric.

Also, I don't know that the hub machining is such that the tolerances would allow a hub centering ring to be used correctly. Since the design isn't intended for a hub ring, using one might actually cause the wheel to be off center.

Yeah.. It makes sense what youre saying. My doubts / worries are slowly disappearing..

Also.. i was thinking last night.. IS the hub really carrying any load at all? Follow me here..

The tolerance between the hub and the rim, would have to be such a snug fit, that i think getting a rim on would be somewhat of a PITA.. Or just imagine getting them off after a year or 2..

You see what i mean? If its not a REALLY snug fit. It woont carry any load.. Thats my theory..

But anyways.. Thanks for helping out. I have stopped worrying about this.. BTW, the wheels just came home last night.. 31 inch cooper STT´s .. :bounce: - all i need now is the rims, and some fender flare cutting. the rims are -30 so i have to cut a little bit to be able to turn..

:party:

Ole

Also, I don't know that the hub machining is such that the tolerances would allow a hub centering ring to be used correctly. Since the design isn't intended for a hub ring, using one might actually cause the wheel to be off center.

I tried using 2013 Explorer limited wheels on my 2007 Mountaineer. My Mountaineer has bearings / hubs that are too wide for the center bore of the 2013 wheels.

Using a 1/4 spacer, I was able to mount the wheels. However, I recently lost a wheel making a turn, and sheared a couple of studs on that wheel. The lug nuts did not have enough bite to keep the wheel on when high force was applied.

I have looked for longer studs but it's very difficult findings one that match my moog front wheel bearings.

I'm considering using 5x4.5 to 5x4.5 adapters.

Back