• Register Today It's free!

HUD Heads Up Display?

andrew6

Reaction score
City, State
league city texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer XLT
I was playing with some wiring in my wifes new explorer and found in the book that the car is ready for HUD, I even noticed the slot on the dash where it could go similar to my Corvette. Does anyone have any info. on this or was it something that got scratched?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the slot that you found is for the collision avoidance LEDs, that is where ours are, that project onto the windshield.

I believe Vince is correct. Heads up display, in Ford's eyes, is the displays to either side of the console, versus projecting images on the windshield. The slot is for the LED warning system that Ford uses for accident avoidance.

well that kind of sucks. I am going to have to figure out a way to put a projector there now lol.

LED strip on top of Dash

Hey guys. Brand new Platinum owner here. Last night when I turned the car on I noticed a red strip of LEDs lit up by the WIN number and then went dark again. What are those? I tried to search online and couldn't find anything. Maybe was looking in the wrong place.

I assume it has something to do with adaptive cruise or collision avoidance or something.

Nevermind... Appears I found it on the Ford.com website :)

"Available forward collision warning with brake support will alert you if it senses a potential collision with the car in front of you. A heads-up display, which simulates brake lights, flashes on the windshield. If you don’t react in time, the brakes will precharge and increase brake-assist sensitivity to provide full responsiveness."

Guess its supposed to light up on the windshield?

Hey guys. Brand new Platinum owner here. Last night when I turned the car on I noticed a red strip of LEDs lit up by the WIN number and then went dark again. What are those? I tried to search online and couldn't find anything. Maybe was looking in the wrong place.

I assume it has something to do with adaptive cruise or collision avoidance or something.
Page 97 & 229 in the Owner's Guide. It is part of the pre collision avoidance system and there are sensitivity settings for this system as well.

Lots of good info in the Manual. ;)

Your thread has been merged with this existing one.

Peter

Off topic but since it's active... What is the red light bar on the dash that lights up upon starting the engine? For the life of me I can't figure it out.

Crash detection...... It pre charges the brakes in the event the car detects a possible crash......... It flashes when you start the car to let you know it's working

Off topic but since it's active... What is the red light bar on the dash that lights up upon starting the engine? For the life of me I can't figure it out.
Your post and replies have been merged with this thread.
I guess you haven't reached page 227 in the reading of your Manual yet. Slow reader?;)
I find that many questions posted on the Forum have answers that are in the 'Book'.

Peter

Peter I think he is still trying to sober up from waiting on his car from the Alaska detour.....

I was playing with some wiring in my wifes new explorer and found in the book that the car is ready for HUD, I even noticed the slot on the dash where it could go similar to my Corvette. Does anyone have any info. on this or was it something that got scratched?
I’ve been told HUD is an option available for 2019 and 2020 Explorers. I can’t get the parts people to find it in any of their parts books. I’d love to have my 2019 Explorer outfitted with one. Love to have the part number. My Lincoln Continental (2017) has a great HUD. The area of my explorer dash board that might be for an HUD has the “Pre-collision” warning light bar which is HUD in that it projects to the windshield.

Crash detection...... It pre charges the brakes in the event the car detects a possible crash......... It flashes when you start the car to let you know it's working
PRECHARGES!!! I’ll say it pre-charges the brakes. It will dang near throw you through the windshield if you’re in cruise control and a car turns off in front of you. I have found that if you know the car will be clear before you get to it, you can gently apply pressure to the accelerator and the car will not do that awful braking maneuver.

Welcome to the Forum Kenneth.:wave:
Other than the Collision Detection HUD there is nothing else available for the 2019 that I am aware of. There is no option listed for it in the 2019 Order Guide.
I've had the warning sound and flashing go off a few times when a car ahead is still in the process of turning but no braking.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Kenneth.:wave:
Other than the Collision Detection HUD there is nothing else available for the 2019 that I am aware of. There is no option listed for it in the 2019 Order Guide.
I've had the warning sound and flashing go off a few times when a car ahead is still in the process of turning but no braking.

Peter
Thanks Peter. I think my dealership sales people were talking about the anti-collision lights when they told me the option of HUD was available. As for the pre-collision putting on the brakes,try it when you’re in cruise control. It will rock your world. If you change lanes, it won’t brake, but stay in the lane and even if the car has made the turn-off, (like when someone stops just in the driveway to go pick up the mail) it will brake for you.

Back