HUD (on windshield) for 2017 Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HUD (on windshield) for 2017 Explorer?

tarheel1983

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
Does anyone have any knowledge as to whether Ford will add heads up display (projection on windshield) similar to GMC Denali, Lexus RX and LX, or BMW X3 and X5 for the 2017 Explorer? Technology is heading this way and with the ability to get a Lexus RX or BMW X3 with this feature at a similar price to Explorer, Ford really needs to get on this train.

I drove a BMW in Germany (on the autobahn, no speed limit, it was heaven) with the HUD and it was fantastic. Projects your speed, speed limit, navigation directions in form of showing roads, arrows, and distances until turn. I never had to take my eyes off the road to see any of those things, which was definitely nice cruising along at 120 mph.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure if they will bring it to the lineup, but I had it in the past with a Pontiac GTP I owned. I did not see much use for it...Might be nice with navigation, though.

Does anyone have any knowledge as to whether Ford will add heads up display (projection on windshield) similar to GMC Denali, Lexus RX and LX, or BMW X3 and X5 for the 2017 Explorer? Technology is heading this way and with the ability to get a Lexus RX or BMW X3 with this feature at a similar price to Explorer, Ford really needs to get on this train.

I drove a BMW in Germany (on the autobahn, no speed limit, it was heaven) with the HUD and it was fantastic. Projects your speed, speed limit, navigation directions in form of showing roads, arrows, and distances until turn. I never had to take my eyes off the road to see any of those things, which was definitely nice cruising along at 120 mph.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
No news has yet been released on the 2017 as far as I know. BTW, the Explorer already has a HUD for the Collision Avoidance system.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
BTW, the Explorer already has a HUD for the Collision Avoidance system.

Peter

I wouldn't call the Collision Avoidance warning system a HUD, although FORD might. The HUD described by the OP is a great safety feature, and one I would love to have on all of my vehicles.

You wont see HUD on the current Generation Explorer, possibly next generation 2019/2020. It's not something many customers demand or request in focus groups.

Wife has a 2013 Acadia Denali with full HUD, it's actually really useful, Speed, MultiMedia selections, and full Navigation directions are visible.

I found it useful.

Back