• Register Today It's free!

Hummer style hood vent?

CHAZ98X

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport 4x4
Has anybody done or seen an Explorer with a Hummer or H2 style hood vent? I like the way it looks and I figured it would help a little with engine compartment cooling. I'm wondering if it would be possible to take an H2 hood vent and rivet it to an explorer hood with a hole cut in it? Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm sure it could be done anything is possible, just depends how much work you want to put into.

It might help enigne cooling, but you will likely take a big hit to highway fuel economy. Directing all that air into the engine compartment will create an enormous amount of drag at highway speeds. It could also compromise safety/handling. If there is no coresponding way for all the excess air to escpae out of the engine bay, it creates a hig pressure area under the hood. This produces lift, and reduces the weight, and traction/stability on your front end. Basically your engine bay becomes an airplane wing.

Yes, it can be done, but it's not as simple as it seems. The aerodynamics of an explorer were not designed to accomodate this. It was designed for a closed hood.

A hood scoop directly feeding the engine would be ok, because the air would never enter/build up under the hood. Also a "cowl induction" style hood is ok, because it tends to "pull" air out from under the hood. This would include hot air, which would be replaced by cooler air pulled/rammed through the radiator/grille/etc..., thereby improving engine cooling, and reducing underhood temps.

and even cooler a cowl induction hood is offered by explorer express

look it up

Yeah, I don't want to reduce MPG any more than I might have with my 285/75/16 tires. I also put 6" flared fiberglass fenders and left the fender skirting off. Do you think that may have the same effect as you described above? If I installed a vent with the fin openings facing towards the windshield, is that going to cause a venturi effect and pull air into the engine compartment?

is this for looks or are you over heating?

99% of cars and trucks on the road are designed to be enclosed to promote cooling. I could see if you were sitting in 115 degree heat in stand still traffic with the A/C on but even in CA thats not likely unless you are running death valley. The h2 hummers hood vents are just for looks but the H1's are there for cooling from the grill to the rad out the top. The rad is angled to increase the approach and departure angles but the H2's rad is up right. Also like car guy said you will create lift which is not a good thing on the highway.

Jon

Mostly for looks and I was hoping to squeeze some performance out of it. It sounds like it would just be hurting MPG and safety so I think I'll pass on this mod. Thanks for the help!

Back