hummer tires and wheels | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

hummer tires and wheels

any one running hummer tires? or the 8 or 12 bolt bead locks.

http://www.trailworthyfab.com/Goodyear-Tire-Radial-37x12.50R16.5-Take-Off-s.html

this deal seems good but anyone know how they perform on the street?
the only experience i have with them is under a up armored hummer here at work but we run a 36 bolt bead.

they seem cheap enough that you could run them with a locker or spool and not feel all that bad about it.

people say military tires are stiff but theses tires last FOREVER.

any thoughts on running these or should i skip it and just save up my money for something better?:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My brother in law runs them on his JK. Good for on-road because they're cheap and wear pretty well. He hasn't been to the trails with them, yet, but doesn't plan for them to be his wheeling tires. He doesn't expect them to be great trail tires. DOT approved double bead locks, though.

I have run the 8 bolt beadlocks and currently run the 12 bolt beadlocks on my rockcrawler. Both were fully built and customized with recenters, rock rings, custom beadlock inserts and rubber valve stem conversions on the 12 bolts. The only downside is they are heavy.

No experience with the tires, I sold off the set of 5 that I had without even using them, most of them were nearly bald. I would think they would be fine on-road but have weak sidewalls for off road.

sounds about like what i was thinking. i have a spool in the 9in so i think i might just use these for on road use in the future or just light trips in the dirt. they do last forever though. we run them on the heavy ass armored hv and they seem to do great but they are a stiff ride.

Brian1- how much of a difference in lbs would you say the 8 to 12 bolts are? I know the 36 bolt is a monster and difficult to change.

im thinking these rims just because i think they will not stick out to far with full width axles. 9 in rim with 12.5 tires, i dont think the cops will give to hard of a time.

i have a set in the garage. i pan on using them. if you get them, get beadlocks. 16.5" wheel size doesnt have a safety bead. very stiff sidewalls. good tread for cleaning and i hear they are quiet on the road. i dont see them being very good in the snow/sand as they just have solid lugs. once grooved theyd do better. once you groove them they get flexier also.
just the tires alone weighed either 82lb or 92lb, cant remember which. dont know what the 8 or 12 bolts weigh.

good street/mud tire. bad for rocks and crawling due to weak sidewall.

Thanks X.

Well im sold. 99 dollar mud tires that are good on the street. sounds great to me. i just need to get some steelie black 16.5 bye 9 in rims for them.

i dont think im going to buy the re centered H rims, just for the fact of cost. i think for off hwy i will use the boggers/rims i have and some weld on beads. they will be a b**ch to balance but who cares for off hwy driving. just need to groove them some and call it a day.

Back