• Register Today It's free!

Humming from FIPK filter

aqs789

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport 4x4 SOHC
I have a loud humming noise coming from the filter of my K&N FIPK which I installed less then a week ago. After reading other threads I think it my be the IAC valve, but before I replaced it I was wondering would a bad IAC cause wierd idle or will it just cause that annoying high pitched humming noise from the filter? My idle doesn't fluctuate it stays pretty steady, so would the IAC valve be the culprit? I have 53000 miles and never cleaned or changed the IAC valve so maybe its time too. Is there a gasket I have to get for the IAC if I get a new one or does it come with everything I need to replace it when I buy it from Ford.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

now you have me wondering. at a certain spot on the gas pedal i get a high pitched whistle like sound. if i'm bearly on the gas i dont get it but there is a certain spot where i hear it. what does the IAC valve do and where is it? i have the KKM kit so i didnt touch anything but the airbox when i installed it.

well i only noticed it when I put the KKM on. It does make more noice from the engine but its hard to hear it over my exhaust.

It is the IAC.

If you do a search for this problem you'll se it's quite common. A while back when I tried to buy one, I got the last one in my city. There was a national shortage of them.

My X had the same symptoms. Replacing it will probably fix it. You could also try cleaning it out with some carb cleaner. SOme people have had this work for them.

FIPKs are not supposed to whistle. A whistle means that there is an air leak. Hissing is normal, though.

--Sean

I agree with DESERTSPIVE. Whistle=airleak, hissing =normal

I get a hiss when I first start it up and it idles. What is it and why is that normal?

wHEN YOU INSTALLED THE FIPK DID YOU RESET THE COMPUTER?

HAVE YOU EVER CLEANED THE MAS?

CLEANING THE IAC DOESNT HURT, I DO IT OONCE A YEAR, BUT THEN I;M CRAZY AND I CLEAN THE MAS, IAC, THROTTLE BODY, UPPER INTAKE, CHANGE PLUGS, CLEAN THE WIRES, ETC.....

I HAVE NEVER HAD AN IAC GO BAD OR WHISTLE OR ANYTHING.

NOW WITH THE FIPK OR ANY OPEN ELEMENT SETUP YOU WILL HAVE ALL SORTS OF WEIRD SUCKING NOISES, IT'S NORMAL. UNFORTUNATLEY SAYING "I HAVE A HISSING SOUND" ISNT ENOUGH, WE WOULD HAVE TO HEAR IT IN PERSON.......

First of all, 410 STOP YELLING!

The K&N will hiss alittle, but it shouldn't be so loud that you can hear it when you're inside your X. The hissing is obvious when the hood is open. If you can hear it when in the car with the hood down, that probaly is something else. Try cleaning the IAC valve with carb cleaner and see if that helps. Or just replace it. It seems tha Ford's IAC's tend to go bad often, so replacing it may not hurt.

Sorry dude, I run AutoCAD and I have to use caps. I always see it after I type and I'm not about to go back and re-type it all. I'm not yelling, I'm just lazy :)

Gotcha. No offense meant.

My wife logs into the hospital from home and she always leaves the caps lock on too. Annoying.

Originally posted by 98FordX24
I get a hiss when I first start it up and it idles. What is it and why is that normal?

I have the FIPK in my '02 Ranger 4.0L SOHC and there is a very audible hiss (vacuum noise) from within the cab when cold, with the windows up. It goes away when warm, but a certain speeds and throttle positions I can hear it more faint. This is normal. If you are hearing a high pitched whistle (like when you whistle), there is an air leak and connections need to be rechecked.

The FIPK hisses because you no longer have a closed and restricted airbox muffling the intake sound. Now you have a big 'ol honkin' conical filter open to the world. Why do you think our trucks don't come with this intake from the factory? Because it is noisey! You gotta give something to get something.

--Sean

Sounds normal to me.....I dont notice it much anymore, but if I open the hood when it's cold it is there...

Sounds like it is working like it is suppossed too.....

I also get a high pitched whistle type noise at certain throttle positions with my MAC intake. All my connections are tight, it seems to be a normal noise and you'll get used to it. Mine also makes the humming noise, which is like they said, the air is moving much freer now through the big air filter. it is normal.

I bought an IAC valve today and I'm going to replace it. I had a question about the IAC valve, there is a little black knob on it. Does the black knob adjust the idle?

I heard that hissing noise before I installed my filter. It is still there now.

No, the black knob is just a breather cap. The computer controls the idle. The black knob just spins around and does nothing else.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, I installed it already and haven't heard any humming yet. I need to drive it around to make sure the noise won't come back.

Back