• Register Today It's free!

"humming noise"

jortor

Reaction score
City, State
jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 xlt
When I get going, so does this humming noise, hum gets louder with speed, sometimes on the highway hum briefly goes away if I "bear left". 4x4 have not worked since I've had the truck, (dont really need it) could noise be coming from tranfer case (low oil maybe?) Any sugestions?:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe wheel bearings?

Agree on wheel bearing. Just had same problem with my other truck. Can you feel slight feedback in the steering wheel when turning slight left or right?

Wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rod ends, tires, bent rim, u joints, RA busings, brakes.
All could do it. Need to go through the front end & diagnose it.

is it at least humming a good tune :D

sorry, everyone already hit all the good points, and I couldn't resist.

If the humming starts at a slow speed and continues through the speed range, you can pretty much rule out some of the things mentioned above. RA bushings, balljoints, tierods, u-joints etc. clunk and don't hum consistently through the speed range.
Could be a brake pad dragging, but if it sounds like the hum of a thick tread tire on rough pavement and you get slight feedback in the steering wheel when loading the bearing slight left or right, most likely the wheel bearing. You can pull the caliper and wheel bearing pretty easy and fix that up. If it's still there, then you may have a larger problem to diagnose.

thanks

thanks for all the quick replies, I didn't think of the bearings, that could very well be the culprit. I will take a look at them first, thanks again guys.;)

Back