• Register Today It's free!

Humming Noise

hillre51

Reaction score
City, State
vine grove, ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explorer eddie bauer
Good afternoon, I've a 2003 Explorer (Eddie Bauer) 4.0 engine with 120K miles. Problem: Hearing a very aggravating humming noise at right rear (seems like from the driver's seat). Thus far, jacked up rear end and grabbed tire at 3 & 9 o'clock position and 6 & 12 o'clock position. No play in either of the rear wheel. I did notice the left rear rotor had lot of rust build up. Used wire brush to remove excess. Still hearing humming noise. I'm assuming it's the hub bearing although can't find any play in wheels. Also need to know if a bad tire can cause a humming noise like this. Have any of you had this problem? If so, how did you resolve it. Per my internet research, replacing the rear hub is alot more work than the front due to having to unmount upper and lower balljoint, toe link, emergency brake cable, etc. If so, I suppose I will have to take to a shop. Hope to hear from somebody:)). Have a good day

Do some research into the rear differential whine. That may be a possibility. However if you do need to replace the rear hubs, all the steps required can be done by anyone who is mechanically inclined, so don't fear doing it.

- Dubya

I already had that problem resolved a couple of years ago. This is a humming noise not a whine. I know exactly the whine that you are referring too. it drove me insane:)). Cost me around $1500 at Ford dealership. They had to work on it twice to get it right. They put a new ring and pinion in it and rear end bearings. If that ring/pinion is set right per my research, it will keep whining. I definitely have some fear on that job:)). I've been watching YouTube videos about it. seems like special tools are needed for it, i.e air chisel and tool for pressing out old bearing/installing new. I will definitely consider it once I see what a local shop diagnose/charge.

Do some research into the rear differential whine. That may be a possibility. However if you do need to replace the rear hubs, all the steps required can be done by anyone who is mechanically inclined, so don't fear doing it.

- Dubya

I meant to say if the ring and pinion isn't set right, it will keep whining:)).

I already had that problem resolved a couple of years ago. This is a humming noise not a whine. I know exactly the whine that you are referring too. it drove me insane:)). Cost me around $1500 at Ford dealership. They had to work on it twice to get it right. They put a new ring and pinion in it and rear end bearings. If that ring/pinion is set right per my research, it will keep whining. I definitely have some fear on that job:)). I've been watching YouTube videos about it. seems like special tools are needed for it, i.e air chisel and tool for pressing out old bearing/installing new. I will definitely consider it once I see what a local shop diagnose/charge.

Back