• Register Today It's free!

humming sound?

2manytoyz

Reaction score
City, State
levittown, P.A.
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xl
i have a 95 xlt that has a hum. low toned and driving me nuts! it sounds like it is coming from the underneath of the truck. if anyone has a sugestion please let me know. thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be alot of things. U-joints, front end/rear end bearings, t-case(if 4x4) tranny. Where about is the sound coming from underneath? Front?Back?Middle?

sonds like the front. if i drive it goes away or if i put my ac on it goes away. i was thinking maybe vacum line cracked or somthing.

Is it constant or very's with RPM/vehicle speed. Usually when fuel pumps are about to take a dump they make alot of noise.

its not the fuel pump already checked on that. it is definately coming from the passenger side of the ex. already checked the power steering. its almost like it comes and goes. i just cant figure it out. i appriciate the info!

Wheel bearing/hub assembly maybe. Does it do it on corners?

only when sitting still

Beats the hell outa me...I'm out of idea's

Could it be the IAC? I think I've heard in the past that it can make a humming sound during idle, especially on warm days.

A/C compressor, alternator, power steering pump, belt tensioner, belt idler are a few possible things to check out.

I had this problem, and it perplexed me for months. Mine turned out to be a bypassing PCV Valve. the dang thing at idle would vibrate like crazy, and it sounded like a tiny buzzsaw under the hood. put your hand on your PCV Valve and see if it's vibrating. Let us know!

checked the pvc - not that, checked the belt, tensioner,& alternater. what is the IAC?
it seems like it does do it more less when it is warm out. would the ac compresser hum when not even ingaged?(on)

I'll second the vote on checking the IAC. I had the same symptoms on mine before it went. It would make a buzzing sound that would go away as soon as I hit the gas. Wouldn't hurt to check.

Check out this thread regarding the IAC. I still need to try something like this to figure out if my humming on warm days is from the IAC as well

I'm just going to throw this out as a possible source of noise...it may or may not be related to your problem.

Heat shield on any of the exhaust pipes or cat...

Phil

not the heat shield. i will pull off the iac today let you guys know what happened!

95ex good look on the pics!

IAC was the humming sound. cleaned it out and the humming sound went away. thanks guys for all info and time. that thing drove me nuts trying to figure out. you'd think it would of been easy to figure out. thanks again!!!

Back