Humming while turning right. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Humming while turning right.

Hammssammich

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Limited
I'm new to Explorers as well as the forum. So here's the scoop. I have a 2002 Limited with the automatic 4wd. At speeds above 40 there is a loud humming and vibration any time the wheel is turned to the right. I replaced the drivers side wheel hub tonight and it made absolutely no difference. I hate to throw parts at a problem and my work schedule won't let me take it in. Any help on where to look next is very appreciated.

Well, you did the first best thing I suppose. Everyone says the noisy hub is the one opposite the turn when you hear the noise. You may have proved that theory wrong.

I've done all four hubs like most Ex owners have. I've done them one axle at a time. So both fronts followed by both rears. Having done it this way, I couldn't tell which one was the bad one.

I hate to suggest you do the other side, but the noise you describe is almost always a hub bearing.

Number4 you were absolutely dead on, out of pure frustration i replaced the passenger side and she's quite as a mouse! Thanks for the reply!

Back