Hurst shifter installed, now grinding noise! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hurst shifter installed, now grinding noise!

TheFox88

Reaction score
City, State
Flagstaff, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport
Hey guys, i just got done installing the Hurst short shifter for our trucks. The product is very high quality and i'm liking it quite well. The only problem is that there is now quite a bit of noise, (not that loud though) coming from the shift boot. I can hear a slight metal on metal grinding noise. :mad: Is this normal?? I am asuming that it is not normal. I had to use the 1/4" spacer for it to bolt up, at least it felt that i needed it. The shifter mechanism is supposed to slide right into place, right? Any help that you guys could give me would great. I appreciate it!
Bryce Fox

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine turned out to be a little louder, but I don't know if it's normal....mainly because this was soon after my problems with the transmission/clutch/etc. The mechanism did slide right in place for me and I needed the spacer too. If I remember right, it wasn't all that loud after installing it. Are you sure you've adjusted those two nuts and the bolts (w/ the allen head on them) that you adjust when it's in 2nd, then the upper one when it's in 3rd? If you've done that, and you know that it is shifting fine, I really don't know what to tell you other than good luck. :)

bmxking5 said:
Mine turned out to be a little louder, but I don't know if it's normal....mainly because this was soon after my problems with the transmission/clutch/etc. The mechanism did slide right in place for me and I needed the spacer too. If I remember right, it wasn't all that loud after installing it. Are you sure you've adjusted those two nuts and the bolts (w/ the allen head on them) that you adjust when it's in 2nd, then the upper one when it's in 3rd? If you've done that, and you know that it is shifting fine, I really don't know what to tell you other than good luck. :)
Yeah those nuts are adjusted(sp?), but i have yet to locktite them. Any other ideas out there?

O yeah...when do you hear the grinding noise? When shifting gears? only 1st, or reverse, etc? All the time? It could possibly be the clutch, but I'd have to know more info to know for sure.

It is only a slight grinding noise that either, i didn't hear before, or wasn't there before. It is present when any gear is engaged, but the times I can hear it the most are when i'm acclerating(sp?). When it's in neutral, the sound is either not there or much quieter, as i can not hear it. The lady which i bought the truck from said that the clutch was replaced when the truck had 100k on it. I now have a tad over 125k on it. I'm hoping that this is not the clutch. This was a little old lady that took the X in for service at the dealership every 3k, so unless the dealership messed things up, i don't know. Although, as far as clutches are concerned, since i first drove the truck, it seems to me that the clutch is very stiff. The hardest in any vehicle i've driven. I hope that this will shed some more light on the situation. Thanks for all your help Brian.
Bryce Fox

No, doesn't sound like the clutch. I have this same type of noise, but it's sort of a "whine" from after the gears have grinded from low trans fluid (going down Hwy, the top plugs needed to be replaced/sealed, trans fluid came out and there was no where to stop to get anything to fill it cuz it was about 10:30 at night or later). So what I'm trying to get at is I don't really know how to help you. :( You can ask siekrye(?), spdracer34(?), Rick, etc because I know that all of them have the Hurst shifter.

The way I plan on fixing my problem is by purchasing a nice ZF5 5spd and a BW1356 transfer case after the axle swap. They will be mounted up behind my new 302. :D Good luck figuring out the problem.

Thanks, and good luck with your axle swap. Any new updates on that? By the way when i was puting the shifter in, i decided to look at those plugs to see how they were. They were in good shape, but since i had already bought those metal caps, i tried to put those in. I couldn't get them in, so i asked my dad and he said that the rubber would be fine until they failed. ;) So i left them in, but i would still like to change them eventually, does anyone have an idea as to how to get them to go in to those holes?

Anyone else? I still have the noise, even after takingit out and looking around, then putting it back on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Bryce Fox

I am new to the Explorer seen, but have built many a Mustang. After every shifter install there was noise. On the Mustang, you remove some of the insallation when you replace the shifter, which in turn allows you to hear to noise your transmission makes all the time, which is close to a grinding. I would say more of a whining. Don't know if this helps at all. I have never even seen a standard Explorer in person LOL.

rsplatt said:
I am new to the Explorer seen, but have built many a Mustang. After every shifter install there was noise. On the Mustang, you remove some of the insallation when you replace the shifter, which in turn allows you to hear to noise your transmission makes all the time, which is close to a grinding. I would say more of a whining. Don't know if this helps at all. I have never even seen a standard Explorer in person LOL.
Ok, that sounds a little better, thanks.

I have a noise in my X that was there BEFORE the swap, and is the EXACT SAME after. But mine is due to the fact that the speedo gears are worn...i.e. I disconnected the Speedo Cable, sound remained, although a little quieter, I took out the speedo gear, sound went away entirely......put it back in, sound came back....

Ryan

Probably normal gear whine. change fluid and add a bottle of friction modifier. should quiet it down a bit. Friction modifier also good for noisey p/s pumps. :D

Nate

Back