• Register Today It's free!

Hurst Short Throw question

FHBasketball

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 SPORT
Many people on this site that have manual transmissions use the hurst short throw shifter, item # 3915020 from summitracing.com

But of the people that I have found to use these shifters, none have said what size engine they have. With so many people on the site doing V8 swaps, I just want to make sure the shifter will work with my engine and transmission.

I have a '96 Sport with the 4.0 liter engine and the stock manual transmission.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

But while we are on the talk of transmissions, I am having trouble with mine. It seems to have trouble going into gear. It only happens when I am at a dead stop though, like after backing up, stopping, then trying to put it into first. It almost seems like there is somehting blocking the slot that the shifter would go into. You really have to try to jam it in there, but I don't want to break anything.

But like I said, it only happens at a dead stop. If I am rolling up to a stop light, it goes into first easier.

thanks for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats the one they're talking about. V6 Manual.

thanks. I just wanted to be sure b4 I spent $200.

Your shifting priblem would be your slave cylinder. Do a search and you'll see it's a common priblem.

Thanks.....

.....i gave my shifting problem its own thread, because it got worse today.

Anyone know how much a slave cylinder would cost?

About 80 bucks or so (usually comes with a throw out bearing as wel). While you have the tranny out though you really should go ahead and replace the clutch, pressure plate, i'd also do the pilot bearing and look into resurfacing the flywheel. Do it all now, if your truck has some miles on it like most do when the slave starts going, the rest of it can't be too far behind.

code

thanks again.....

.....but paying for school along with insurance, and gas, I'm not sure how much all that would cost me.

My ford guy usually does things for about 20 over cost of the part, depending on the difficulty of the job, but im not sure about dropping the whole trans.

Do you know any good aftermarket parts that would be good (refering to the parts you mentioned) because I might end up dropping a 5.0 in out of an '89 mustang LX this spring, but if I can get good power and preformance out of my v6, I dont think i'll let the MPG go.

Engine swap will probably end up being more than replacing the clutch. You could just bleed the slave for a temporary fix, do a search.

FHBasketball said:
.....but paying for school along with insurance, and gas, I'm not sure how much all that would cost me.

My ford guy usually does things for about 20 over cost of the part, depending on the difficulty of the job, but im not sure about dropping the whole trans.

Do you know any good aftermarket parts that would be good (refering to the parts you mentioned) because I might end up dropping a 5.0 in out of an '89 mustang LX this spring, but if I can get good power and preformance out of my v6, I dont think i'll let the MPG go.

If you're worried about the cost of putting in a slave cylinder, how can you consider swapping a 5.0? You're going to need a new transmission, new computer, wiring harness, and that's just the start.

You are right.....

.....but the great thing is, my friend has all of that lying in his garage. He is sponsored by trickflow, and after he wrecked his old 93 GT, he bought the LX. Then, with trickflow's backing ripped out the trans, wiring, etc. and put in all performance parts. The only thing he really kept in the car was the 5.0 itself, which he built up. He is now dropping a supercharged 357 into it, and is getting rid of it.

So basically, he said, since he is using some engine parts for the 357, he will build the 302 back up, and install everything into my X for about $500 total cost. He has a cherry picker, so it shouldnb't be too hard, just time consuming. It is great having friends that love working on cars so much that they will install anything for no labor cost!!!!!!

But doing this will leave my X out of commision for quite a while. So if I can get good speen and torque out of my 4.0, then I won't bother with the time of the 5.0

Back