HVAC Front Air Vent Vacuum Motor Access | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HVAC Front Air Vent Vacuum Motor Access

miltm4444

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer
My 2008 XLT has fallen victim to a common problem, no AC to the front dash vents because the vacuum motor controlling the air panel is no longer connected to the air panel control arm due to failure of the plastic pin securing it. That said, how in the world can I get physical access to these parts so that I can perform some kind of makeshift repair to reconnect them. Working through, and under the glove compartment area I can barely get my fingers on the parts, yet alone see them. Would removing the radio and HVAC control panel be of any help getting access to this area? Have seen several threads providing repair methods, but none explain how to get in there. I'm 88, with a worn-out back, so laying on the floor, feet out the door won’t cut it. Meanwhile, I have a wooden dowel poked in the front air vent keeping the air panel open. Works fine, but would be nice to get the HVAC vent selector control working again. Thanks for any help provided.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tried finding YouTube videos? This is usually where I start when making a repair I am unfamiliar with doing.

Thanks Eddie. I found some excellent repair info on YouTube for my problem but I just can't access the parts like the some guys. Working through the glove box opening I can barely see the broken vent lever, yet work on it. Was hoping to find a better way to get at it.

I know what you mean about about accessing places. I used to crawl under, in and around vehicles like a squirrel but these days not so much. It isn't too hard to remove a seat to gain easier access if you have a little help to lift it out.

I know what you mean about about accessing places. I used to crawl under, in and around vehicles like a squirrel but these days not so much. It isn't too hard to remove a seat to gain easier access if you have a little help to lift it out.

Thanks for the tip. Right now, it looks like the wood dowel will be there for a while.

Back