HVAC Problem, not blend door - blower noise. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HVAC Problem, not blend door - blower noise.

Wichitagreg

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 V8 AWD XLT
Just got back from having my new to me 97 V8 AWD in the shop for a brake and front end inspection and ac evacuate and recharge. Had the truck less than 24 hours, AC was working in all positions, just not real cold.

Turns out it needed a pound of refrigerant. Did that. Then as we are measuring the temp of the air, the mechanic moved the controls around from max ac to ac to heat to defrost and ther came from the blower motor/plenum such a racket, like a piece of plastic getting caught up in the fan and nocked around.

We shut the fan off, turned it back on, noise changed to a buzz like the debris is lodged and the fan cage is hitting it. then the noise turned into a weird hum, like the fan is blowing hard on a closed door and unable to suck or blow air.

Good news is the AC blows real cold out of the center vents over the radio. AC works, I think heat works, just this annoying noise now. I've had this truck 100 miles and 1 day. It has 98000 miles on it.

I don't think it is the blend door, but I have nothing to go by on the symptoms.

If I'm lucky, I can just remove the fan and clean it out. I've seen threads for this on first gen Ex's, but none on 97's.

Anyone have any input?

How can you diagnose the blend door, or is it really obvious.

Greg
Wichita :bounce:

You should remove and inspect the blower motor. Easy job, takes less than 1.0 hours. Also try to see if there is stuff jammed up on the heater core/evaporator.

Found dit and fixed it!

It was a piece of paper inside the squirrel cage. :burnout: A "Vehicle hot sheet" from a dealer saying the windshield need to be replaced. Got into the passage somehow.

I also removed and inspected the blend door actuator. OK there.

Thanks for the response, river rat.

Greg
Wichita

Back