HVAC Temp Door | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

EYFD5917

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland,Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Explorer EB AWD 5.0
Does someone possibly have a template or know where to access one to properly cut the bottom out of the heater box in order to replace the temp door without damaging the lower pivot socket?....'97 Ranger...Not sure if the NAPA replacement kit has one.:rangergreen:Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IIRC - You must cut the triangle area out which includes the pivot or you'll never get the new door back in. Got my parts from Rockauto.com

It was an easy job.

Blend Door Replacement

EYFD5917 - Check out the link below.
I just bought the 902-202 Dorman kit, but the removal template, and repair cover that it came with assume that the entire housing is removed from the dash. The removal and reinstallation is then through the top of the housing, and unless you remove it, the template and repair cover aren't of any value.
The link shows where to cut from below, which I'm planning on doing very soon, as I don't need full heat anymore.
Make sure that the replacement door is the right one for your vehicle.

Good luck,
Dick

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214332&highlight=1997+hvac+door

Thank You All for the replies....Attempting the cut this weekend...the previous owner of My '96 EB had cut the box and kinda hacked it up...hence My looking for a template.Gettin' ready to break out the Dremel tool and commence to cutting out the box.:rangergreen:

My Ranger

Have owned My truck since new....still obsessed,lol.
Ordered "Twin I-Beam" front fender emblems from a "60's Full size Ranger and the the rear side bed "Ranger" emblems.Next comes the smooth "steelie" rims painted the same color of the truck with "40's style Ford script "dogdish" hubcaps and trim rings.Will def submit pics when done.Up to this point,the truck has been used as an emergency response vehicle as I'm a Volunteer Firefighter/Medic......Time to hook the ride up!,lol.....BTW,the chrome adhesive letters that AutoZone sells for 99 cents a piece look great on the hood!
F O R D...too cool,lol :rangergreen:

Back