Hybrid Snow Plow Dodge to Chevy

rookieshooter

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Martinsburg WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
84 BII "Li'l Samson"
I've got a little project going on for a neighbor of mine.
He got a good deal on a snow plow, but only problem, it was for a Dodge.
So he asked me if I could modify it to fit his Chevy truck.
The Dodge frame is wider then his Chevy and that is the main concern.
I told him I could not guarantee how it would work or if his Chevy has the power to operate it. He said don't worry, I'll help and if it don't work your not to blame.
I'll have to re-wire some things, but that's no big deal...I hope.
With that said I broke out the Cutting torch and went at it :D

DSC06543.jpg

Here's the 7.5 feet plow.

DSC06542.jpg

Here's the front part that the plow will hook up to.
The Salter to the left will be made to work on his and my Bronco also.

DSC06541.jpg

Now here is where it starts to get interesting. This is the back side that the trucks frame will hook-up to. Notice the two beveled extension on either side. That is supposed to slip into an adapter on the frame. But the Chevy's frame is not that wide. Hmm.

DSC06536.jpg

Here is the frame mounted adapter. Wish I had of took pic before I cut off the brackets. I layed them back in the original location for the pic.
The Dodge frame actually went to the left of the large vertical piece. This had the plow actually to the inside of the frame.
But for it to fit the Chevy frame the adapter needs to be in-line with the frame. That's why I cut those gussets off.

DSC06537.jpg

Now here it is with the gussets off. The large vertical piece will be cut down in height and notched to fit the bumper brackets.
Then another vertical piece welded to the other side which will make a C-channel.
So now the bracket will directly under the frame which I think will be stronger then it was. Then I'll have to figure out the right height to mount it so he can drive into the plow.

And I will be the second house to get plowed out after his this winter, so I do have a vested interest.

DSC06635.jpg

This pic is taken between the frame rails. The bracket that bolts to the frame is done other then painting. The side piece with the 3 bolts is on the inside of frame and bracket is located dead center under frame.
The wire is the grounding lead from welder.
At this point I still need to make a brace from one bracket to other for lateral support.

DSC06638.jpg

Putting finishing touches on the side lateral piece. It's nothing more then an angle piece with welded mounting brackets with 2 bolts on either side.

DSC06641.jpg

Done other then wiring the lights. Those Dodge wiring plugs for headlights and turn signals won't work.
The pump for lowering, raising and side to side works fine.
So some standard run of the mill splicing will be done to get those lights on.

Come on Snow.

Back