I’m New Here & have Tire size questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I’m New Here & have Tire size questions

EagleAl

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 XLT 4.0L SOHC 4D 4WD
2001 Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC 4x4. Hunting vehicle only. Stock tires & wheels: P235/75- R15. I really need greater ground clearance (even 2” would help). I’m wondering what my options are. Wheel well size will limit choices, but will LT tires fit? What size? Can or should I look for 16” wheels?
Thanks up front!
Al

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If there is one thing that I hate about my '98, it's the ground clearance. I recently worked on a '99 CR-V - which can't hold a candle to my Ex, but got jealous about its ground clearance - it's about 2" more! And so is the 3rd generation Ex. Why in the world did they go so low? Stability, MPG? .

[QUOTE="1998Exp, post: 3730535, member: 161574Why in the world did they go so low? Stability, MPG? .[/QUOTE]

Yes and yes. This is a passenger SUV, not a Jeep. The higher you lift it the harder it is for passengers get in and out and it's also why they went spring under axle.

Be warned that some/most tire shops will not mount anything but the OEM size...

No corporate shops will, I have a set of roller wheels I use, came on my parts truck, I put them on, and take my wheels with new tires, get the tires mounted on the wheels and then swap to my new tires. They can't "argue" about that, no matter how obvious it is.

Back