• Register Today It's free!

I am a new comer

Christian D

Reaction score
City, State
Golden Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer Sport 1997
Hi my name is Chris and I am living in Chile for now and I will be moving back to the US in the next few months.(Summer to avoid corona virus as much as possible)
I have a Ford Explorer Sport 2 doors that I will leave in Chile to use when I get back for business. So it will seat for many months.
I want to change the rear differential fluid with a local mechanic and already found out that I need a 75W-140 synthetic and a friction modifier additive?
I recently did a basic service, motor oil and filter, gas filter, shocks are recently new. If any one can help me with capacity of the tank for the rear differential?
Also I imagine that may exist a front differential ? Do I need to get the same type of oil for it? Any other service I should be doing that any can recommend I would appreciate very much.
Thanks for your time

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum. Here is a thread which discusses differential fluid changes in the 2nd generation Explorer.

Ford claimed that the differential fluid was "Lifetime" and didn't need to be changed. Anyone who works on vehicles a lot disregards that advice as there is no such thing as a "life time" lubricant unless you don't expect a long life time ;)

Welcome.

Welcome to this forum! They also claim that spark plugs & transmission fluid don't need to be replaced. Maybe platinum or iridium might last longer than standard plugs but they wear out over time just like synthetic fluids.

Welcome to this forum! They also claim that spark plugs & transmission fluid don't need to be replaced. Maybe platinum or iridium might last longer than standard plugs but they wear out over time just like synthetic fluids.
Thank you for connecting, It make sense your comments I appreciate them.

Welcome Chris, this community is full of information!

Back