• Register Today It's free!

I am lost!

Shells

Reaction score
City, State
British Columbia Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlT
I probably don't belong here, because I am hardly an enthusiast, but I need some help with my 94 Eddie Bauer and I am not going to go into a garage until I hear from you guys first because I always end up getting sold things and services that I don't need.

Ok here are my issues:

1.My brake lights just stopped working. They used to make this "click" sound when I hit the brakes (like them coming on) and it doesnt make that sound anymore. Is this a fuse or a "brake switch"?

2. I don't have second gear anymore! I don't know where it went, but it's not in my truck! I have to let the RPM get up to just before 3, take my foot off the gas, let it drop to below 1, and then step on it again and it goes to third. If I don't do this, the needle goes straight to 5. So I am driving my automatice kind of like a standard. Am I going to need a new transmission? I did a tranny flush thing when I had my oil changed and this didn't help.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! Check your brake switch with a continuity tester. The loss of second gear could be a broken band, servo piston, valve body problem, governor issue (1-2 shift delay when cold), or a leaking modulator. It sounds more like a broken band from the way you are describing it. Did you drop the pan, and see if there are any metal parts floating around in there? Did you try to adjust the middle (intermediate) band? If it keeps turning without getting tight, then it is probably a broken band.

We need to know the level of what your willing to do... It appears your not mechanically involved and will not be doing any work (let us know it this is incorrect).
As BrooklynBay has suggested the brake switch located at the top of the bake pedal mechanism is a likely culprit. This switch is nothing more than a plunger type on/off swtich.. Depressing the brake closes the switch and connects the wires inside which sends power the the brake lights.. If you parking lights and hazard lights come on then your brake switch is the most likely reason for failure... shop time 30min max easy fix

Your transmission needs to be looked at to determine the actual problem. The fix could be relatively simple or require a complete rebuild.. What I mean is if they crack open your transmision and find a broken band (easy fix), but also notice the entire insides are beat to crap then fixing the band to get you going would most likely cause your return several months later with a completely non functioning transmission...

The A4LD transmission usually needs more than a soft parts rebuild. If a band broke, everything has to be thoroughly cleaned out. Small metal particles could clog the valve body, solenoids, check balls in clutch pack pistons, governor, etc. The hard parts should be inspected for any weak spots, chips, and wear from bad thrust washers. Check the overdrive planetary, and the rear one way sprag, since these two areas are high wear sections. Your 94 was the last year that they made them, and should have all of the updates (unless it was previously rebuilt). Sometimes the rebuilding shops use what they have on hand, and don't necessarily use the most updated parts. I had this with a Ford remanufactured transmission. It was supposed to be the most updated unit, but came in the old style case, had the 4 pinion planetaries instead of the 6 pinion, and had hard parts with 86, and 87 production dates. The so called "Ford remanufactured unit" was most likely a soft parts rebuild with old hard parts from lower years. The thing kept breaking down. The last time it broke down, the front pump gears blew up. I had to do a hard parts rebuild. The soft parts were mostly good, except for bad thrust washers which caused excessive wear, and the center support rings.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post back to me. I do really appreciate it. And you are right, I won't be doing the work - I am so not mechanically inclined. I pulled out all of the 15 fuses last night, with my ignition key because I don't have a fuse puller outer thingy and I don't know which fuse is which and they all seem good, - The Z shape thing was connected in all of them, and I read online that thats how you tell.

As far as the transmission - What if it is just a broken band and the guy at the shop tells me its a kajillion other things? Is there a way to tell if people are pulling your leg? I got rooked once, and then the next time I got my oil changed the guy said " You need to change your differencial flud" and I accused him of making that word up! I am just a little freaked out, because I know this can get expensive, and I don't want to be taken advantage of because I don't know very much ( translation: anything) about vehicles!

Again, thank you so much for posting back to me you two! I can't even begin to tell you how much I apprecate it!

Check WWW.Atra.Com for a list of transmission shops in your area. If you have a complaint against them, you could file it with Atra, and have some pull instead of going to a no name brand shop. These shops have to undergo special training (even during the year while they have a membership), and pay Atra for a yearly membership.

Back