I am sure this will turn out to be a dumb question, but how do you open the rear window ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I am sure this will turn out to be a dumb question, but how do you open the rear window ?

2004mountaineers

Reaction score
City, State
USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mercury Mountaineer
I am sure this will turn out to be a dumb question, but how do you open the rear window ?

https://imgdump5.novarata.net/mj8cs0.jpg
mj8cs0.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also, there is a button on the fob that opens it. I accidently hit it a lot to my frustration.

I installed new lifters a while ago, and the right hinge broke soon after.
My mistake, as it's like pouring new wine into old wineskins.
Permanently locked down the hatch window and now use the main hatch only to open and close.
Also disconnected the lock so it doesn't open by mistake and maybe mess things up.

If I remember right, there was a recall on those hinges. Have you checked with a dealer on any open recalls.

You are right - recall for shattering glass caused by hinges. Mine did it at country club while my ford dealer was standing there.

Also, there is a button on the fob that opens it. I accidently hit it a lot to my frustration.

Depending on which design of FOB you have you can disable it by opening it up and putting a piece of tape over the contacts for that blue button.

You will need the design on the left to do it.

Ford_Remotes.jpg

Alternatively you can order 3 button remotes (or just the shells if you already have the left board) for your vehicle.

Little rubber button located to the right of the main hatch handle. If you look up under there you will see it near top right corner of license plate. It activates an electronic actuator that pulls a cable to open it. The cable assembly is notorious for breaking (small plastic clip on the cable) but you can order a new one online if that's the case. It's not a stupid question. I bought 2 of my 3rd gens from 2 different girls who had them for years and never even knew the glass part opened. I hit the little button to open it and their eyes got wide and jaws dropped.

Back