• Register Today It's free!

I blew a tranny on my birthday!

jg09

Reaction score
City, State
Everson, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Eddie Bauer Explorer
A transmission, that is. A4LD in my '92. I was going up a sandy hill in 4-Lo, foot to the floor when I heard a loud POP! At first I thought it was one of my hubs, but 4WD seemed to work still. I got stuck shortly after and when I finally got unstuck and moving, I realized I had a solid stream of transmission fluid leaking from the bottom of the truck. I looked underneath and saw that it was coming from where the bellhousing and gearbox portion of it meet.

It's in the shop now, but what do you guys think it could be? I'd like to know sooner than tomorrow or so. It sounded bad and looked bad. I leaked all my transmission fluid in less than 15 minutes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

At lest the front pump seal.

But what would the horrendous pop come from? My guess is that I'm gonna need a new torque converter, maybe more. That pop is what keeps haunting me.

It could be anything or a few things at this point. Just an FYI, try not to use 4LO, it multiples your RPMs by about 250 times which could lead to problems (like overheating transmission and so on).

I think heat was a major issue. My engine was up near hot and the transmission fluid that leaked out was boiling. I cut the top off an Amp Energy drink can and let some pour in to show my mechanic. When the fluid first went into the can, it was almost too hot to hold onto.

I got the tranny in my old bronco hot and it popped the front seal out, I was glad it wasn't more just had to drop the tranny and reinstall the seal and it ran fan, just hope that you didn't try to move it too much without the fluid so it wouldn't burn up the clutches

btw HAPPY BIRTHDAY present

lol, yeah, the present that my Explorer gave me wasn't so nice. I moved it about an 1/8 of a mile, idling in Drive on the side of the road with the 4-way flashers on.

Back