• Register Today It's free!

I BLEW MY L7!!! What happen?

alwalker84

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT
I was riding home form the bar the other night and BOOM!!! No more sub woofer! (it didnt actually go boom, i just didnt hear anymore thumpin) I cant see anything physically wrong with it or smell any burning/trashed coil.

Can anyone tell me why I might have blown it? or What happen?

Its the dual 4ohm Kicker L7 12" (wired down to 2 ohms)

Ran by a Kicker 08zx750.1 amp.

Gain was on max, frequency was not high, bass boost wasnt up above a quarter I dont believe.

I have played this system on max in the past for hours with no issuses. Now im lost.

Any input would help...

Pic...

SDC10013.jpg

SDC10015.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

gain on max AND bass boost...I would say that is the problem there. Incorrect setup.

I bet you were clipping the amp. What was the input voltage?? The gain is not a volume knob.

Get a DMM and meter the coils for continuity.

gain on max AND bass boost...I would say that is the problem there. Incorrect setup.

I bet you were clipping the amp. What was the input voltage?? The gain is not a volume knob.

Get a DMM and meter the coils for continuity.

This is what happen.

And check your amp, i have a similar case, but my amp was correctly set, and i died, but all the lights turn on normally.

hmmm, ok thanks! So did i damage my amp by clipping it?

hmmm, ok thanks! So did i damage my amp by clipping it?

You can damage your amp or your sub, and in some case both, try each equipment separate to see the one that is broken.

clipping an amp for extended periods puts much more wear on components much faster which will lead to failure.

you used kicker, thats the first problem

you used kicker, thats the first problem

false...failures are USER ERROR related. I've never had any problems with any kicker products nor has some world champion spl competitors i know using Kicker.

Back