i bought a 93 sport for $300 last night | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

i bought a 93 sport for $300 last night

wrigley_1285

Reaction score
City, State
Decatur, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Sport
two days ago one of my buddies(davidhicks16) called me up and said one of their regulars came into the store and said he was trying to sell his son's 93 explorer sport. he gave me the info and i called him up and we settled on $300. not bad you might say, but there is a little catch. it's been in a roll over(can't hardly tell) and the clutch won't engage. but still it's a running truck for $300.

as of right now my plan of actions include getting it running first:p:. then using it as a DD while installing my superlift on my 2000 sport. after that i'm not positive on what i'm going to do but i'll will end up getting a lift of some kind and probably cutting the roof off.

if you have any info or any links to help me get this thing moving please help. i've never messed with transmissions before so it's something new that i'm wanting to fix myself, if i can:D

here's what it is: 1993, two door, 4x4, 5 speed, 3.27's:(, limited slip:).

1264363335.jpg

1264363201.jpg

it looks so small next to my 2nd gen
1264363456.jpg

1264363505.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like a good deal. Except for those broken windows, looks like no roof damage. I paid $600.00 plux tax and bulls**t fees for our 94 xlt. When i get my tax money I have a lot of plans for our Explorer!!

i just found another problem with it. the electric shift motor won't go into 4lo. but it will go in and out of 2hi and 4hi with no problems.

nice looks like its gunna be a fun project not bad at all for being rolled

It's been in a rollover? It must have rolled onto marshmallows or something, it apparently only took out the side glass (unless that's from something else). I know the 1st gens have strong roofs from lots of rollover pics, but that must have been a gentle roll for the roof to be straight and the front windows and windshield be still intact.

You should make the '93 your trail rig with a Superlift, then put the 33's on it.

I'd say wait to chop the top until YOU roll it.

Nice deal for $300, can't wait until I have the space to store it and find one or more for parts.

I'll buy it off you for $325.
It's a deal. Your making $25 dollars. ;)

ill give ya 326 :). i had a buddy that quit his job and then the economy crashed and i bought an 87 f150 with a built 302 and 33s for 246 dollars(his harley payment so he wouldnt lose it) and sold it on cl for 1500

I like the first gen's, but I would rather have your 2nd gen :p:

I've got my eye out for one because my first gen has future dates with several locale shops coming up soon.

the guy i got it from said he did have to jack the roof back up in a couple places and then had to replace a couple windows. he also said he never could find another wing window for it.

I'd say wait to chop the top until YOU roll it.

it won't be getting cut up until after i'm done getting my 00 lifted...more:D. i wasn't going to go completely toppless. i was planning on leaving a half cab like on the broncos and then making some type of vinyl cover for the back of it. if anyone has any good write ups for this let me know.

I'll buy it off you for $325.
It's a deal. Your making $25 dollars. ;)
ill give ya 326 :).

do i hear $327:hammer:

Make sure the wheeling your going to be doing with it won't cause issues with body twist. I know on the Broncos if you wheel them without the top you run the risk of twisting the body or even the frame. I'd imagine the risk would be even greater with a truck that isn't designed to be topless.

Heck, if nothing else, that roof could hide a really robust interior roll-cage. Speaking of Roll-cages, there's a guy near Decatur that put an exterior roll-cage on a old Cherokee and it looks like bootay.

Looks like a fun project, once you get the small stuff fixed. Luckily its a 5 speed.

The wing windows are the easiest to replace, just pop them out from the back, remove the front hinge, install the window hinge first on your ride, bolt in the rear latch, close the window. They might be slightly costly new, but I'm sure you could find a deal on here with someone parting out their Sport or Navajo.

The Sports look pretty cool with the rear top chopped and the front roof intact, plus you gain a ton of rear cargo area removing the interior panels back there. I think you're going to need at least a basic roll bar on the inside for safety's sake, though, especially with the rear off. The roof might take another hit, but it's not worth finding out.

HPIM0886.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

Make sure the wheeling your going to be doing with it won't cause issues with body twist. I know on the Broncos if you wheel them without the top you run the risk of twisting the body or even the frame. I'd imagine the risk would be even greater with a truck that isn't designed to be topless.

Heck, if nothing else, that roof could hide a really robust interior roll-cage. Speaking of Roll-cages, there's a guy near Decatur that put an exterior roll-cage on a old Cherokee and it looks like bootay.

OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The guy that started this thread owned that POS. now one our good buddys owns it. and we had no part in that cage it came that way:D

Speaking of Roll-cages, there's a guy near Decatur that put an exterior roll-cage on a old Cherokee and it looks like bootay.

do you mean this cherokee. i bought it like this for a couple hundred bucks and then traded it for a riding lawn mower.:D

1264494734.jpg

The Sports look pretty cool with the rear top chopped and the front roof intact, plus you gain a ton of rear cargo area removing the interior panels back there. I think you're going to need at least a basic roll bar on the inside for safety's sake, though, especially with the rear off. The roof might take another hit, but it's not worth finding out.
attachment.php

i will be putting in a minimum of a basic roll bar in it before i cut the top off. this is how i want to cut the top on mine. i agree they look freaking cool with no roof. i'm not too worried about tearing the roof on it either. its not like it's going to be a show car, it'll end up just be something to bounce off some trees later:roll::D

Back