I broke it. What is it?

BTR

Reaction score
City, State
MARIETTA, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4DR 2WD
2000 Explorer XLT 4-Door 2WD 4.0L SOHC.

While replacing the spark plug wires, I accidentally broke a part. I don't know what the part is. I have to order a new part, but I need to know what it is. Can you tell me what the part is called?

It's located on the driver's side of the engine. It's black and about 3" wide x 2" tall. It's attached to the vertical side of the valve cover by 2 small bolts (approximately 6-8mm hex heads). It has 2 small rubber hoses (approximately 3/4" OD) attached to the bottom and an electrical connector attached on the right.

Both of the rubber hoses broke off of the bottom of the part.

Two questions:
1. What is it?
2. Can I drive with it broken? What would happen?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's a picture of the broken part. What is it? Thanks.

Ford Explorer - Broken Part.jpg

Thanks! Now I know... it's the EGR Pressure Feedback Sensor (DPFE). Can I drive without it, i.e., drive a few days until the part arrives in the mail?

I am not sure I would not go on a trip but it's just a egr sensor so if it's driving ok then go for it I would someone will chime in with more info for sure

It will probably be fine. I've seen plenty of trucks come into the shop with 1 or both sides broken off and running fine with the check engine light on.

DPFE sensor. Differential Pressure Feedback EGR sensor. It detects if, when the EGR valve is open, whether some of the exhaust is routed back into the intake manifold. Allowing exhaust into the intake reduces the running temperature of the engine, and the PCM adjusts the fuel air mix to optimize the stoichiometry of the chemical burn reaction in the combustion chamber. Long term it is not a good thing to run your engine like that. Bad things happen to the catalytic converters when the PCM can't do its job. I would check to make sure the tubes it connects to are clear and not gunked up. Both tubes connect to the EGR tube. One connects to the exhaust manifold side (the big tube) and the other connects to the downstream side. The tube between the 2 connections has an orifice that causes the exhaust to back up, thereby causing a Pressure differential between the two tubes, which is what the PCM detects. When the EGR valve is closed, there is no flow, so therefore there is no Pressure difference between the 2 tubes.

I may not be a good idea to drive with it removed, because the EgR will now be sucking in raw unmetered air. Plus, you will have an exhaust leak under the hood.

I wouldn't drive it without the DPFE. If I had to drive the vehicle, I'd see if one of the many auto parts stores in Marietta has one in stock. If not, most can order it in the AM and have it in the PM. If Advance has it you can probably save 20% by ordering it on-line using a coupon code.

Replace it, also before you go get a used one, I've tried that, for whatever reason after sitting in JYs for years sometimes they just don't work right anymore, I did that on an 01 XLT and it took three before I had one that was good, 2/3 had codes, one melted down in 5 minutes, almost ruined an engine harness, never did figure that out.

I reinstalled it. However, the engine light is still ON. Do I need to clear the code? Or will the light go OFF after driving several miles? Thanks for your help.

I’d try just pulling the negative cable for a few minutes and seeing it it comes right back on.

If the CEL light is on due to the DPFE sensor, it's probably for one of 3 reasons: 1. the EGR valve is stuck closed; 2. the electronics in the DPFE sensor is fried; 3. there is a blockage in one of the three tubes: the EGR tube, the high pressure tube, or the low pressure tube.

I would think the CEL should go off after so many "drive cycles". You can clear it if you want to, now that you've installed a new DPFE sensor, it wont hurt anything to clear it. If the CEL comes back on you've still got a problem. Do you have an ODB II scanner? You can erase the code with that, or you can disconnect the battery and turn on the headlights to turn the CEL off, but it's best to just clear the offending ODB II code using a scanner.

Re my broken EGR Pressure Feedback Sensor (DPFE):

Q: $29.00 new part? Or $25.00 used part? Or J-B Weld?
A: J-B Weld of course.

upload_2018-6-27_15-50-39.png

Unhooked the negative lead from the battery for several minutes and the light didn't come back ON.

And, yes, that's the dipstick handle attached to the dipstick with... of course... J-B Weld.

Re my broken EGR Pressure Feedback Sensor (DPFE):

Q: $29.00 new part? Or $25.00 used part? Or J-B Weld?
A: J-B Weld of course.

View attachment 160387

Unhooked the negative lead from the battery for several minutes and the light didn't come back ON.

And, yes, that's the dipstick handle attached to the dipstick with... of course... J-B Weld.

Wow. Just wow. Good luck.

You mean that you're cheap enough to JB weld the DIPSTICK? They literally almost give them away here if you find one with a blown motor, they charge $2 at most. Man.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You mean that you're cheap enough to JB weld the DIPSTICK? They literally almost give them away here if you find one with a blown motor, they charge $2 at most. Man.
What? Do you want a critical reading on something as trivial as oil level? Nerds.......

Back