I cant find the antifreeze leak V8 96 (pics) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I cant find the antifreeze leak V8 96 (pics)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So maybe try Le Auto Zone? lol! The rest of my thread still applies, as long as the steering wheel is on the left.

If you need any additional advice on this job, just ask. It isn't as daunting as you think... but then again, maybe I've blocked out much of the pain.

Looks like we have a bit of semantics problem here. Someone correct me please, but I have not seen a paper gasket (which is what goes between the timing cover and the engine block) referred to as a 'seal'. Whatever it's called, it's much more likely to leak coolant than oil, as bobflood mentioned.

Possibly, what Kamil saw referred to as the 'timing cover seal' is the piece of rubber that goes between the rounded sections in the bottom of the timing cover and the oil pan (the flat surfaces are taken care of by the oil pan gasket). This rubber piece is normallly included with the timing cover gasket set.

Incidentally, there is no separate 'timing cover' and 'front engine cover'. It's the same thing that bolts directly to the engine block and has the water pump attached to it.

Thanks 1998 Exp: I tend to use "seal" and "gasket" interchangebly and probably shouldn't. I was refering to the timing cover gasket you mentioned. And I should have said "front of engine" instead of "front engine cover" - again sloppy terminology.

till now i dont know what type of seal i have to order. In rock auto online catalog there are two positions:

Engine : Crankshaft Seal ----->

TIMKEN Part # 2942 Shaft Size: 1.875"; Housing Bore: 2.56"; Seal Width: 0.406"; Seal Outside Dia: 2.565"; Seal Lip Material: Polyacrylate; Housing Material: Steel; Max Temp: 300°F; Min Temp: -20°F; Seal Type: 470; Press Fit Front

getimage.php

TIMKEN Part # 2692 1.874 in. Shaft Size; 2.559 in. Bore; 2.569 in. Outer Diam; 0.335 in. Width

getimage.php

and category called

Engine : Timing Cover Seal

VICTOR REINZ Part # 46293 More Information About this Part {Click Info Link for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers}

getimage.php

NATIONAL Part # 2692 More Information About this Part Oil Seal; Polyacrylate Seal, Clockwise-Spiral Lip Design, Shaft Size=1.875", Housing Bore=2.561, Outer Diameter=2.565, Flange Outer Diameter=3.16", Width=0.528in

getimage.php

Kamil,

the front cover seal that you are looking for is included in the FelPro gasket kit. It looks similar to #2692 listed above. There seems no reason to order the seal separate from the gasket kit as you'll need to replace the gaskets EVERY time you pull the front cover to replace the seal. The FelPro kit you referenced in an earlier post is the one you want.
Do yourself a favor and buy a Haynes repair manual for this rig. It includes many useful steps in this procedure.

Oops! I guess you can remove the crankshaft seal without removing the front cover (hence the flange on the front for 'prying') BUT, that is not your (only) problem...the front cover is leaking. Best to get all the repairs done once you're that deep into the front. Be real careful not to twist the heads off the waterpump and cover bolts. They are probably corroded and weakened from the coolant exposure. Depending on how long you want to keep the rig, also measure the deflection on the timing chain once in there. The Haynes manual details this procedure.

i have Haynes and Chilton Manuals...I ordered TIMKEN Part # 2942 and NATIONAL Part # 2692, and FelPro gasket kit and see what will fit. In my opinion "FelPro gasket kit" have oversized seal matching oversized Sleeve for balancer.

The 5.0L engine is an old, all imperial thread design. I believe that the threaded holes in the balancer for the puller bolts are 5/16", 24TPI.
Don't forget to remove the center bolt first...
l
do you know the bolts in balancer pulley are metric ?

No, I am not totally sure. I just believe it's true. But you know what? There is an easy and 100% sure answer to your question. Take one bolt of each size, and see which one fits in the balancer threads!

are you sure ??

ok, now i have all parts and tools. In this weekend i start to fight with timing cover and water pump.

Water pump and cover studs and bolts are 5/16 am i right ?? What socket should i use?? long 1/2" ??

Good luck, Kamil! I usually encourage people to do their own maintenance, but judging by the questions that you keep asking, it looks like this may be too much for you.
Front cover reseal is not a simple task; you may have broken and stuck cover bolts, trouble removing or re-torquing the center balancer bolt, trouble sealing the top of the oil pan, etc, etc. If you have no experience with more complicated auto repair, please consider taking your vehicle to a mechanic, or at least getting one to come and assist you.

ok, now i have all parts and tools. In this weekend i start to fight with timing cover and water pump.

Water pump and cover studs and bolts are 5/16 am i right ?? What socket should i use?? long 1/2" ??

I had to remove my radiator and a/c condenser to remove the water pump and front cover and it was a solid 4-6 hour job for me and I consider myself pretty good turning a wrench and do it part time for a living. I used liberal amounts of black permatex on the oil and water side of the front cover and am glad to report no leaks and with 212k on it running great and hoping to take her to 300k. :)

I think I only snapped the head off 1 bolt and it would not turn due to being so seized to the timing cover, I actually relieved the seize on that bolt by cutting into a non critical section of the casting and then mashing a external torx socket onto it and it come right out. 5/16-18 thread on the water pump mounting bolts.
Important to let the gasket sealer dry over night, especially on the oil side. To prevent leaks anyway and this is a job you do not want to do twice.
1231001137.jpg

...this is a job you do not want to do twice.

Amen to THAT, windsors03cobra! I went slow and steady and took the better part of a sunny weekend in July to hold. Almost one year later Count Frakencork still has no leaks of oil or coolant (Thank GOD!).

I didn't have to remove the A/C condenser though... I thought they separated, and only remember removing the Radiator and disconnecting/plugging the transmission cooler lines.

Sorry to hear about your broken bolt head. My heart would have sunk. Best to get PB Blaster and let it sit on all the bolts the night before. Maybe that will help any seizing.

How you remove and re-torque the center balancer bolt ?? I have dewalt dw292 maybe it will help ;)

To loosen up the balancer bolt, I think I used a long breaker bar and socket and propped the breaker bar under the chassis. Disconnect the coil so the engine doesn't start and crank it for a fraction for a second. That dislodged it for me.

As far as re-installation (and there are other posts you can refer to), you can bake the balancer in an oven at 200 degrees or so for a while to let the metal expand. Then (using oven mits since it isn't an Easy Bake oven) put it on the shaft as quickly as you can. Then install the bolt and tighten it until it reaches home. Mine was still too tight, so the bolt was the only way I could get it to seat completely.

To torque it to spec (and this is all from memory), I used a belt wrench around the balancer and a breaker bar to hold the pulley while I tightened the bolt. Might need an extra set of hands to keep the shaft from turning. Other people I think have mentioned locking the flywheel with a screwdriver, but that isn't how I did it.

Good luck!!!

Any luck, Kamil? Or am I the official thread killer :) lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

summary :

1 left bolt snaped
timing cover was cracked :(

Now i`m looking for used timing cover.

Timing cover in explorer from 2000r are the same as mine ??

1605603968.jpg

Back