I Can't Find The "I Must Be Losing My Mind" Forum | Page 2 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!
    If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

I Can't Find The "I Must Be Losing My Mind" Forum

snocross1985

Explorer-less
Reaction score
City, State
Stratham, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
351wExplorer said:
you know if your parents offered you a car youd take it.

I disagree with this 100%. If my parents offered to buy me a car I would have turned them down. My mom actually offered to give me her car when she was going to buy a new one. I told her I wanted to save my money so that I could buy my own truck so that it would truly be mine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brian_B

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Mountain Home, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 mounty / 56 f-100
351wExplorer said:
.......i mean come one if all you guys saying you had to buy your own and bla bla bla where offered a new car from mommy and daddy youd turn it down, hell no..

As a matter of fact I would. No doubt in my mind.

I learned much more than my brother by doing it myself. I was proud of my old 72 torino ($800). If I could not fix it or pay to get it fixed, I rode the bus. I am proud of the fact that I have purchased every vehicle I have ever owned as well as my home, all on my own.

A kid does not need a car. If you don't earn it, you don't deserve it. Girl or boy should not make a difference. Girls are the worst (IMHO). They rarely earn the car they are driving. They expect to be taken care of the rest of their lives. Shes a girl, youre supposed to spoil her? :rolleyes: That explains a lot right there.

Gimp will do what he wants. Its his (and his wife's) daughter. They are the parents. I am not the parent here. I see a few parents (and surpsisingly a few younger ones) who have spoken up though.

Gimps should have made this a poll. The "I must be losing my mind" poll.

410Fortune

Truck Season!!
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
I worked for 3 summers to save up enough for my first car, $3500 and a 1976 BMW 2002tii was all mine. I totalled it about 5 months later.

I don't care if you buy her a car, she's your kid. Heck in neghborhoods around here 16 year olds drive H3's, its commonplace to be spoiled rotten, some kids deserve it some dont, whatever every family is different.

However most 16-18 year olds I have known with nice new cars (any car really), wreck them.
I personally would want my 16 year old in something safe and big and cheap, then once they prove they can care for it and not destroy every other car on the road or get 47 tickets, maybe a new/used car for graduation.

How does a 16 year old afford gas for a 8 cyl Mustang? What about insuranse on a covertible sports car? IMO driving is a privilage. Good grades in school will get my kids much closer to me helping pay for this stuff....

BeauJ

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
tgertz77 said:
Why a Mustang GT?

Is she going to be someone who likes "the cool horsie on the grille" or someone that likes the performance it brings?

I dont know if I'm the only one, but when I think "Mustang" I think performance, if your not going to use it, or respect it, or have absolutely any knowledge of it, why bother driving it?

I agree with you on this big time. Does she know anything about cars? Or does her friend have a Mustang and she "thinks it's cute"?

I loathe spoiled kids who don't know shi* about their car, but they can tell you how much it cost. Or the ones who drive $30,000+ car, with an inch of brake dust on the wheels, and is too ungrateful to even wash it.

Is there any reason that she specifically has to have a GT?

Gimp

Reaction score
City, State
The Beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 F150 XLT SuperCrew
I didn't know I was going to start up all of this, but I think a lot of people are making a lot of assumptions about my "prickette" "brat" daughter who thinks the horsie looks cool, so let me tell you about this very special child.

HER Money: She is a very industrious child and has more financial knowledge and experience, and is more responsible than most adults. Beginning when she was 10, she began earning money for doing chores - lots and lots of chores - and she did them all very well and always did (and still does) them when she was supposed to. For this we paid her $50 a week. With my questionable parenting skills, I taught her to save and invest her money rather than blow it. With her mother as custodian, she has her own investment account, money market account, several CDs and a couple of passbook savings accounts. She puts half of her $50/week into her investment and money market accounts and half into savings. When savings reaches $1,000, she buys a CD. As they mature, she rolls them over. As allowed by law in our state (and again with her mother as custodian), she has had her own checking account - with her own debit card - since she was 14. She earns her spending money by babysitting mostly. In 2004, she asked if she could take over the lawn care and have me pay her the money I paid the lawn guy. She does an excellent job and we both make out - she makes the money and I pay her less (because she's using my equipment, not her own).
School: She keeps an "A" average while taking advance placement courses. She plays basketball and volleyball, and is in the chorus.
Extracurricular: Instead of hanging around the pool all summer like most kids her age, she spent this last summer as a volunteer for Habitat for Humanity. Her 2004 spring break was spent on a mission trip for flood relief where she spent a week under houses cutting out floor joists with a sawzall, removing wallboard, removing lath & plaster, and the like. She turned down her date for this year's valentine's dance in lieu of a 4-day missions training event. In spite of profound hearing loss (congenital) that require the use of very powerful and cumbersome hearing aids or sign language to communicate, she was blessed with a pure, angelic voice. She uses this talent (and her piano and guitar talents) in not only the school choir, but church choir, her own band, an independent adult choir that performs locally, and supervising an elementary-aged choir. She volunteers every other Saturday at a nursing home, teaches sign language to little kids (and sometimes their parents), and works out three days a week at the gym. She's the kind of kid who is always thinking of others' well being and not of her own.

With as much money as she has saved, she could easily pay for the car herself (and a couple more, too); and she wanted to. But, her mother and I wanted her to save her money. We kid around about "spoiling" her with a USED car for her 16th birthday, but in our minds this is more like a reward for being such a great, responsible, caring kid. I'll probably pay for her college, too, rather than have her do it the way her mother and I did - work your way through with the assistance of grants and student loans. I suppose that will make us lousy parents, too.

So, yeh. I guess she's a brat and I'm a lousy parent.

EMG7895

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 xlt, 93
I'm In the middle on the suject, my first car was just one of the many my family owned (farm, lots of trucks), I didn't own it and only paid for gas, but since no one else was using it I did. I went in the navy for 4 years after hs then when I got out I went to college for free and got spending money every month (vietnam vet). When I started college I got student loans and bought a summer and winter car, a scout and a mgb.

JDraper

Somewhat Functional
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
McVeytown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 XLT
Gimp, do what YOU feel is best for your daughter. Everyone keeps saying "well, I would do.....". They aren't you and they aren't your daughter. You know her better than anyone else, and you know how she will behave. I was one of those that bought my own car ('66 Mustang) at 16, but if my daughter's behavior, grades, and my financial situation allows, I will purchase a car for her. It's all up to you and your wife to do what you feel is right.

BTW, Yep, you're nutz to buy someone else a nice sports car while you're still puttering around in an older 4x4 :D :D :D :confused: !

Hmmm, maybe you could play a nasty joke on her. Buy the Mustang, and then hand her the keys to the Explorer, and say.."I changed my mind...I'm keeping the car, here's my Explorer for you to drive". Let her stew for a couple of minutes and then "cave in". :D (Yeah, I'm a daddy of a girl too and know how to rile her up :D )

Good luck and I agree wholeheartedly with you!

BeauJ

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
You know the darndest thing? I looked all over the thread and didn't see a single person SAY that she thought the car looked cool, just asking if that was a reason as to why she wanted it. Most females just say they want a Mustang. If you think I was referring to you about having a "brat", I wasn't. Just making a statement that has zilch to do with you. All I wanted to know is if she has any car knowledge to specifically know that she wants a GT. If you want to be an ass about answering it, sorry I posted in YOUR thread

CobraXP

Just another White X
Reaction score
City, State
Salt Lake City
Year, Model & Trim Level
Early 97 X
If my daughter (if/when I have one) is as responsible as Gimp's daughter - your damn right I'll pay for the car and college. I commend Gimp and his wife on the responsisbility his daughter shows. :thumbsup:

His daughter has more morals, values, and responsibility than some people on this board.

SoBeLover

Explorer Babe Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Middletown, Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
None
CobraXP said:
If my daughter (if/when I have one) is as responsible as Gimp's daughter - your damn right I'll pay for the car and college. I commend Gimp and his wife on the responsisbility his daughter shows. :thumbsup:

His daughter has more morals, values, and responsibility than some people on this board.

Wow!! I'm impressed!! If my kid was as responsible as that, I would too if I had the money. At the rate she's going she will be able to almost fully pay for her first home when she's old enough :thumbsup:

Gimp, I'm sorry if I generalized, but you have to know that kids like your wonderful daughter are a rarity

huskyfan23

Rah no Hans Bwix
Reaction score
City, State
WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT 4x4
Sounds like a great kid. Just because a child turns 16 doesn't mean they deserve a car. It seems she works really hard and understands the importance of school. If any kid deserved a car at 16 I think it should be her. Better yet, buy the Stang and give her the X :D