I can't put the new drum brake back on. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I can't put the new drum brake back on.

crw1006

Reaction score
City, State
Everett,wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ranger
HI Guys,
It's my first time posting. long time reader.
I replaced both side of rear brake.
For some reason after I put all the new shoes and hardware on the rear driver side, I tried to put the new drum back on, but it was very tight. But though may be it was because new shoe. Put the tires back on for test drive. After drive for a block , the rear driver brake was very hot. I can smell it burning, So drove it home and pull back the drum to suspect if I had missed anything, checked the adjuster, and it was all the way back.
The other side of the rear is fine and no problem.
Can you help? What you do guys think I did wrong? I first thoughts i might be the cylinder, but there is no leak and the shoes on the top are tight close to each other.
I wonder if there is a parking brake adjuster? Thanks in advance.

Thanks for moving the threat
This might sound dumb, but where is the parking brake adjuster? Thanks

The parking brake adjuster is in the pedal assembly - it is non-adjustable.

I think BB was referring to the star wheel adjuster in the brake (between the bottom of the pads.)

Make sure the pads are free to move/slide, make sure the springs are pulling in the right direction/orientation. Make sure the wheel cylinder pistons are not frozen in place. Make sure the emergency brake cable is loose at the brake drum.

Double check these - maybe something isn't exactly as it should be. :dunno:

Back