• Register Today It's free!

I can't smell anything :(

baxterdown

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
Every new car I've owned smells like plastic for a few days. That fades away and then you're left with the wonderful smell of leather. It's always so nice to get in your car, especially the first few months, and smell the wonderful scent. I've had the X now for a month or so and I can't smell anything.

The Napa leather in our Grand Cherokee has an unbelievable scent. It smell like a Bentley in there. It is such a delight to get in and take a deep breath.

For those of you with leather in your X, can you smell it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine still smells like a new car...and I have had it over a month.

I have had many vehicles with leather interior & don't recall smelling "leather".

I am still smelling the "new car" scent. My previous Tahoe with Leather never had a "leather" scent to it.....

Mine is fading after a couple months, but it smelled great for a while, then good for a longer while. Now the smell is faint.

My BMW had a wonderful leather smell for about 4 years! I was just thinking how my X smells new, but not so much like leather. Makes me wonder how much is leather and how much is pleather.

If you want a sweet smellig ride you have to pay 60K+ otherwise settle for the plastic thats in there.

An anticipated smell of newness.

I don't have my EX yet, but I sure hope it doesn't smell like my X. Sorry, I couldn't resist the urge to comment. :D

hey i was lookin for someting like that for my aviator... any real life testimonials???

Yes, I use it and the Griot's leather spray. Both are very good.

The Zaino is really good stuff that will leave your leather smelling like leather for weeks.

Seems pricey but a little goes a long way.

Ditto on the Zaino I use it on my 350Z and Ex both the polish and leather stuff.

You guys missed the point. Why would I want to use Zaino on a six-week old car to make the leather smell like, well, leather?

Besides, I don't think I can use anything on my seats. I have A/C seats and I'm afraid the buildup of the spray/cream/oil/etc. would clog the perforations.

Baxter-

Honestly, the quality of Ford's leather really isn't on par with a richer leather smelling vehicle, kind of goes with the territory...

You can use THIS new Megs product, it will not leave white residue in your perforations, that is actually why it was developed. It's got great oil and conditioner placement, it's good stuff. :thumbsup:

Keep in mind...Ford advertises leather as "leather-trimmed seating surfaces".

Translated, only a portion of the seat is actual leather. Usually the sides and backs, head rests, and sometimes the bolsters are vinyl, better know as "pleather". Usually the only leather is the insert. My guess is that in the name of cost, there is a relatively small percentage of leather in cars today. It's actually been that way for a while.

You guys missed the point. Why would I want to use Zaino on a six-week old car to make the leather smell like, well, leather?

Besides, I don't think I can use anything on my seats. I have A/C seats and I'm afraid the buildup of the spray/cream/oil/etc. would clog the perforations.

First of all, the new car or leather smell is probably perfume anyway. You can buy "new car" smell on line.

Secondly, the Zaino product is not a cream and you should have no build-up. It's a clear, colorless spray.

I also recommend the Zaino leather cleaner, to use before you put on the conditioner. The light stone seats show dirt quickly, and I've used the cleaner to take the dirt off as I see it appear. I'm hoping they don't stain from blue-jeans. That has been an issue with Honda leather.

I'm hoping they don't stain from blue-jeans. That has been an issue with Honda leather.

My light stone seats have been getting blue marks on them from jeans. I clean them with the Magic Erase sponge before it sits too long & stains - the only thing that seems to work.

I'm wondering if the interior is only part leather, is there one cleaner that can be used on both leather & vinyl?

Back