I converted my 1988 Aerostar to a manual transmission from an automatic transmission. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I converted my 1988 Aerostar to a manual transmission from an automatic transmission.

Aerostarfan

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose Calif
Year, Model & Trim Level
1988 Ford Aerostar
I replaced (converted ) from Auto Trans to Manuel trans in my 88 Aerostar and I LOVE it !
...Ok I know there are better A/T's now days- but this was all before that design happened .
I encourage you all to consider it while there are still some cores out there (or at least some Ranger cores that can be converted to Aerostar cores )
It was not hard wiring wise - at least Ford wired in the starter engage wires that go to the clutch pedal.
The speedometer wires were the same .
The hard part was finding an master to slave TUBE . So I found ,used an 1989 F-150 pickup truck tube (a little longer , no prob , , just made it easyer to remove trans now :) and its great . I think I had to melt / bend it a little to make the bends at the master a nicer fit .
Of course finding pedal bracket assembly was hard because most of the vans were A/T and not alot were M/T , but I found one and convertred it . a little tricky on getting my fat fingers in there to swap out but hey .....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I tried and tried but no one here on this site has given me an way to post pics- unless I have lunch w president Obama and the White house .
But I can walk you thru it - anything to get away from the regular 5 sp A/T (which isnt so bad ) but I would rather have some thing that is tough , better on gas and lasts long . The latter trans ('88 and forward) they came out with is easyer to rebuild and get parts for too ! Yes I have pics of this feasko but some one will have to make that easyer for me to pull off . Anyone ?

Thank you for that !
.......an I tried that and it is a bit complicated to understand . Hey- I drive an stickshift what do you expect ?
Yes thats right originally it was an automatic 4 speed but the 4th gear was overdrive , right ?
right ....

Back