I could use some help with this problem please!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I could use some help with this problem please!!

Wes1974

Reaction score
City, State
Wilmer, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hi everyone, I recently bought a used 1999 Explorer Eddie Bauer 6 cylinder, 4.0 liter...the problem is this : The steering wheel/column shakes & the front end shakes once i have reached about 70 mph. I have recently had the brake rotors replaced, new brake pads, front wheels balanced & it still shakes. Now i have noticed that when i turn the steering wheel from side to side at idle or i am changing lanes it is worse. What should i check next to see if i can fix this problem. it ranges from an annoying vibration to a violent shaking. Thanks:frustrate

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

tie rod ends!??! I would have the hole front end looked at. this way it can be fixed and the front end alined.

Good luck!!

Mark & Joshua Sparks,

Thanks, I will check that!!

Did you say it shakes the steering wheel when you just turn it back and forth when the vehicles not moving? If so that sounds like a power steering issue.

If i'm sitting at idle and i turn the steering wheel back & forth, it will shake each time i turn the steering wheel but it will also shake at about 68-70 on the highway. If its idling and i don't turn the steering wheel it sounds fine.

does it make a whining noise when you are turning the wheel at idle ?
are there any leaks ?

might not have enough fluid in it,, or maybe the P S pump is bad,,

Thanks Corkey, no whining noise, just shaking & vibrating

Thanks BrooklynBay, I will check that also

maybe have somebody sit in the seat and turn the wheel while you look at the front end components and see if anything isn't working correctly,, look at the pump and the parts under the hood as well ,

It could be that the rack is loose where it bolts to the cross member. I think it's held on by 2 bolts and nuts. Make sure they are tight.

Hi everyone, I recently bought a used 1999 Explorer Eddie Bauer 6 cylinder, 4.0 liter...the problem is this : The steering wheel/column shakes & the front end shakes once i have reached about 70 mph. I have recently had the brake rotors replaced, new brake pads, front wheels balanced & it still shakes. Now i have noticed that when i turn the steering wheel from side to side at idle or i am changing lanes it is worse. What should i check next to see if i can fix this problem. it ranges from an annoying vibration to a violent shaking. Thanks:frustrate

I'm new at all this but I am having a similar problem with a '98 XLT. Turns out it a wheel bearing. May want to check that. Hope it isn't anything too bad.

Thanks anelson 29....I am having the Rack/Pinion replaced & A new power steering belt put on plus changing out the tie-rod ends for good measure...I had new tires put on plus balancing today & it already drives a bit better but i thought i would go through with the other things because it's better safe than sorry i suppose!! I will get the wheel bearings checked out too....Hope yours is driving smoother now!!!

Back