• Register Today It's free!

I did the TB spacer mod

Swamp Fox

Reaction score
City, State
Pee Dee Region - SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT 4WD K-flex 4.0 V6
Well, I did the throttle body spacer mod this morning on my '04 V6. I eliminated the fins and ground them down with my Dremel. Followed up with sanding the surface smooth and cleaned the throttle body while I was at it. Also sprayed the inside of the plenum with intake cleaner while I had everything off. Put everything back on, cleaned electrical contacts, reconnected them and cranked the Ex. After, several miles of stop and go I can say I definitely notice much better throttle response which is what I was after. I don't think I will get an aftermarket CAI but instead just get a K&N replacement for my factory flat filter. All in all glad I did the mod because I accomplished what I wanted. Thanks for all those that have posted their how-to's. This greatly reduces the lag of the drive-by wire throttle on the '04s. For anyone looking for a simple mod give it a try.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i wanted to do this mod also, but i wasnt sure if anyone had just trimed the teeth down on the spacer...

basically the end result is just a crisper throttle response ?

I could tell a difference. Much more immediate I thought. That's all I wanted and it seems to have worked. I doesn't cost anything if you just mod your existing one. The gasket built into the plastic was fine on mine. Give it a go and see what it does for you.

i wanted to do this mod also, but i wasnt sure if anyone had just trimed the teeth down on the spacer...

basically the end result is just a crisper throttle response ?

If you don't want to trim your spacer or don't have a dremel you can also buy a 99 cent gasket from the auto parts store....it's from a a 2000 Crown Victoria 4.6 or a '97-'99 F-150 5.4L.

Installation involves popping the old washers out of your existing gasket and using them just underneath the TB screw heads to make up the space...see post #31 here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1734003&postcount=31

Took me about 10 mins from start to finish. No, not quite free but pretty cheap :) Plus you can save the original gasket so you can go back to stock if you need to.

Ronin8002, whatcha think about the throttle response post mod? Do you use an aftermarket performance filter or CAI? Most of what I've read from others has been pretty positive.

there really is no true aftermarket CAI for our trucks, except maybe the Volant kit...everything I see for the most part pulls hot air in from under the hood. I ended up using a K&n panel filter and left the rest of my factory air intake alone since it pulls cool air from right behind the headlight. It made a bit of difference with mileage and power but it wasn't huge.

I noticed a bit of an improvement from the throttle body mod but it wasn't drastic. I'm not upset though because it was pretty cheap.

would i be able to go to a autozone or pepboys to get the gasket ?

I think im going to go forward, and do the mod tommorrow afternoon as long as its not raining...

thinking about the mod, its crazy to think how much of an effect those little teeth have.

and just to be clear, its basically a direct transplant other then putting the metal rings from the old gasket into the new one ?

Caldwell, I'll tell you this. I know it sounds kinda lame that the teeth make that much of a difference as far as throttle response. I got the seal of approval when my wife (who is pretty tough judge) told me she liked what I did with her Explorer. The lag had gone and the throttle is spot on. I just got back from tooling around town and it's more noticeable today I think. I can't wait to drop in a K&N flat filter to wake it up a little more. Give it a go. I bought a replacement spacer in case I wasn't going to be satisfied but it has worked like a charm. No worries.

I think im going to go forward, and do the mod tommorrow afternoon as long as its not raining...

thinking about the mod, its crazy to think how much of an effect those little teeth have.

and just to be clear, its basically a direct transplant other then putting the metal rings from the old gasket into the new one ?

Go for it. Yep, it's a direct transplant...just pop out those washers and put them underneath the bolt heads when you bolt the TB back on.

Did the mod today along with the airbox mod, i simply trimmed and dremeled the teeth out and i have to say on my 98 Sport sohc i noticed a lot more throttle response and a tad more power

still waiting to do the mod... my next day off, and no rain i will be doing the mod...

will this mod work for V8's also ? my friend is interested in doing this to his 03 4.6L

I don't know if the V8s have the teeth or not. Maybe someone else will chime in and let us know. Still satisfied with my results. Glad I did it.

I have an 03 explorer 4.0 and was wondering what the throttle body mod is because i have a K&N CAI and there is still a lot of throttle lag at higher speeds i press the pedal down and it takes a second or so to actually kick it

Do a search on this forum for "throttle" in the title and you should find it. I don't know about the '03s. They may have the fins in the throttle body itself. I believe '04 changed that with using a spacer with fins instead. Either way you will do the same thing....grind down the fins, polish everything smooth and then reinstall. I know it doesn't sound like they would make that much difference but it does. The lag was gone when I took them out. I'm very pleased with the results. Cheap mods that actually work are great.

SwampFox,

since your install, just curious... have you noticed any mpg gains with this mod ?

or just simply better throttle response ? either way i cant wait to get rid of the throttle lag :thumbsup:

tommorrow i have off to finally do the mod, without the weather or work hindering me.

Caldwell, I have not checked my mileage yet but when I do I will let you know. The overall driveability is much better. If feels like it's taking the fuel better. I imagine that there is some benefit in increased mpgs. I will try and check it soon and post my findings. I am curious to hear your impression post mod. I have not heard anything really bad yet. All I know is I love my jet black and tinted Ex. I will keep rebuilding her as long as I can.

i cant wait to get a little dirt on my hands tommorrow :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok. I did this the other day and all I can say is WOW! No more lag! Pretty kool. I opted to cut the teeth and file the nubs down. I had big lag when making low speed turns(like a rolling stop taking a 90degree turn) and this eliminated it. I did clean my MAF while I was in there and disconnected the battery for a bit but I clean my MAF a couple of times a year so I don't thing that made a difference. I've put on about 250 miles since the mod and it still lag free.

Back