I dont think its my head gaskets. HELP! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I dont think its my head gaskets. HELP!

albeegood

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Sport 4x4
Can someone please help me, just brought a 98 explorer sport 4.0 sohc engine 138.000 miles and im not sure if i have blown head gaskets, it does not smoke, it does not mix oil/coolant, it is not over heating what i do nitice upon review is small drips of water thru exhaust but stops when it warms up and does not leak untill thermostat kicks in , it leaks from under engine, i can see it thru the wheel opening looks like its coming from somewhere near the front cover dripping doown the edge below thrmo housing. P,ease has anyone had this problem, thx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you saying the thermostat housing is leaking? These frequently crack. Usually small and hard to see while installed. Often it ends up being adjacent to one of the sensors.

To joecrna, I still have not had time to examine it closely but yes I think its probably coming from the thermastat housing because I can see the leak dripping down the side of the engine from somewhere near the housing and only when the thermastat opens , and that tells me it must be from there, I hope it is and not the head gasket. If it was/is the head gasket should'nt it leak at all times?

Head gaskets almost always leak into the combustion chamber. You won't see water dripping under the vehicle.

Oh ok thx. You're saying it it was the head gaskets it will go thru the combustion chamber and out the exhaust right? In my case its leaking from the front passanger side of the engine and again not at all times only now and then I think when the thermostat kicks open. :-(
Thx so much for all your help

Oh ok thx. You're saying it it was the head gaskets it will go thru the combustion chamber and out the exhaust right? In my case its leaking from the front passanger side of the engine and again not at all times only now and then I think when the thermostat kicks in

Back