I DON'T WANT ANOTHER PLASTIC INTAKE MANIFOLD! any help!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I DON'T WANT ANOTHER PLASTIC INTAKE MANIFOLD! any help!!

Casey McGinnis

Reaction score
City, State
Lakewood , CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8
Does anyone know of a metal manifold for the explorer 4.6?

I've heard there could be four different types of blocks.

8th diget is W ....4.6 EFI-SOHC (R)
“(R)” : Romeo Engine Plant

11th diget is Z .. St. Louis: Hazelwood, MO
replaced with a Dorman in 2013 and just went bad. 3yrs.. F that!

Does anyone know if the others work?

Typhoon , Cobra? or edelbrock?????

Please help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Dorman manifold is guaranteed for life, just return to the original vender. I sent mine back to Rockauto and with 3 days received a replacement.

You can pick up a Mustang intake if you can find one. Or spend $300 new.

From what I recall in reading, the Mustang 4.6 either doesn't have knock sensors or only has one, whereas we have two. So you'd just need to relocate your sensors.

What are they making these intake out of?

I know I may get shot for saying this, but I come from the GM world and with the LS engines plastic intakes, they can handle quite a bit of boost before you have to look at any metal intakes. Some people never change them out, even after having the plastic intakes honed and ported for more flow (very useful actually)

As an olive branch, GM does many things very stupidly, but after owning and working on them for 10+ years I've gotten used to their many downsides. I'm so far really enjoying this 02' Explorer as it's been super solid, even after my Mom flipped it down an embankment and smashed the roof in. Just hammered it back into shape, put in a new windshield, copious amount of windshield sealant and just lived with the small dents on the roof and one fender. Alignment was still pretty good, nothing broken but now the exhaust rattles a bit but I assume there is some heat shield it's now coming in contact to.

Back