I finally did the 4.6L V8 spark plugs!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I finally did the 4.6L V8 spark plugs!!

explorer1007

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 explorer
Hey guys, I just want to post about my experience about doing the spark plugs on my 2007 V8.
I have dreaded to do this because of the possibility of broken spark plugs.
I had dealership do it back in 2012 when the car had 86k miles.
I was going to let dealership do it again but they wanted to charge me $500 plus $75 for engine cleaning.
Even the local mechanic shop that I been going to the past 5 years wanted $600 for it...they smiled at me when they heard that I have the 4.6L V8... The lady told me it should not break since I had it done back in 2012.

It is still outrageous to spend that much for silly spark plugs job so I decided to do it myself.
It took me around 3 hours to do them. I used Motorcraft plugs and new ignition coil..for a total of $350 plus the plug extraction tool for $60 just in case...

I used seafoam in gas tank three times (over a month and half period) prior doing the job...
FordTechMakuloco has a video of using impact wrench to remove the plugs.
It worked well. Here the link to the video.

The only problem I had is the plug right in front of the passenger side. I used regular wrench instead of impact since it didn't have enough space for it.
Everything went fairly smoothly..one other issues I had are the wires connecting the ignition coils..I had to remove those brownish colored socket in a couple places to gain clearance. The tabs broke...I still put them back and they seemed OK....but they are not 100% secured. Is there a replacement for it? Or I can just leave them be? I can post a picture if needed.

Thanks guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congrats - feels good doesn't it. I did mine at 75K and didn't break a single one. Like you, I bought the tool just in case. I think that may be the tool with the worse sales to use ratio. How many people have bought it and never used it?
As for your connectors, if you can get a cable tie in there you might do that. I think you would probably have to replace the harness otherwise. Let it run - if you get a misfire you know where to look.

I did mine at 100,000. Followed all of the recommendations on this site and the whole process took me 1.5 hours. I soaked each plug socket with PB Blaster, let it sit for 1 hour, then used a long extension and gently broke the seal on each plug. One of the easiest, although nerve-wracking, jobs I've done on my '07 Ex.

Spark plugs on my mountaineer 4.6 were the easiest spark plugs I have ever changed in all my 30 years of messing with engines.

The 4.6 in your Mountie is different from our 4.6s.
Have you ever looked at the spark plugs on the 3v Tritons ?

Replacement pigtails are available for the coils. Just went through that on a coil replacement. Suggestion: Buy the pigtails online - they are a lot cheaper. I was in a bind, so paid $18 for one at Advance (after a 20% coupon). Other retailers were similar. Same part at Rock Auto was around $5.

I havnt replaced the pigtails yet. They seem to be fine atm. Thanks.

Whatever you do, do not buy replacement pigtail connectors at the dealer. I recently replaced a two wire connector for the fuel injector on 3.8 2001 Mustang and local dealer wanted 46.00 for one plug. I bought two of them on Ebay for 6.00. As suggested, 8 connectors on Amazon is a better deal. I changed my plugs a while back on my 06 Explorer 4.6 without breaking a plug. But I turned each plug about a quarter of a turn and soaked them overnight with PB blaster. Next day changed all plugs by rotating the plugs slowly back and forth until I could remove them. If the plugs are the older Motorcraft three piece plugs, There is a greater chance of them breaking. Be sure when replacing plugs to get the

OEM NEW Motorcraft Spark Plug SP547 Ford 4.6L 3V - Ford Updated Design PZK1F

That's awesome that you saved so much money! I had the same mind set as I didn't want to pay so much for something i could do. I just did mine this past weekend on my 2007 Explorer XLT V8 4.6 as it was misfiring and finally gave me a p0300 and p0302 error code. I decided to do all of the plugs. I soaked each with PB penetrating oil over night, then slowly worked them back and forth as they screeched for dear life. I did the passenger side successfully. Then I got to number 5 on driver side and instantly it sounded differently. Sure enough, it broke off. I continued and was successful with the remaining 3. Back to the broken one. I sat down, did research and found the lisle tool online. i looked for it locally but no one had it. I called auto zone and they asked me if I had the Triton engine that they had a tool for that engine. I didn't think so, still don't, but not sure. I decided to go look at their tool, and when they said this is a loaner, I brought it home. I researched and found this guys video which I followed to the tee. . After calming myself, I went for it and a few hours later, I successfully pulled out the broken plug. The first step was pulling out the pin\electrode still stuck in there. I did that with long needle nose pliers. Step two was pulling out the porcelain after gluing a pin in it and letting it sit for an hour. Step three was tapping the remaining metal part then extruding it. I didn't document the process as I was too focused on getting the job done. But I've attached a few pictures so you can see the tool and broken plug. Auto Zone did me a huge favor on that tool! My explorer runs excellent right now!
20200503_142716.jpg
20200503_142716.jpg

Attachments

• 20200503_154314.jpg
    20200503_154314.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 146
  • 20200503_154344.jpg
    20200503_154344.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 20200503_183939.jpg
    20200503_183939.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 241

Nice !
So the pin was still in the porcelain and just pulled out ?
What did you use as a glue ? Never seen that technique before, creative.

Nice !
So the pin was still in the porcelain and just pulled out ?
What did you use as a glue ? Never seen that technique before, creative.
Yes, that pin was still in there. Luckily I had a long pair of needle nose that took me a few tries to get. It was hard to see as those plugs are deep in there. I originally saw a post where folks were using a straight tap with success. But I didn't have a long enough tap, and was scared of pushing junk into the heads. The kit that Auto Zone loaned me came with pins and some loctite. If you look carefully at one of those pictures, you'll see a small tube of that loctite glue that came with the kit in the plastic container. The red nipple things are so that you can put it down in the bottom once you remove the porcelain so that when you tap it, metal shavings don't enter the cylinder. I'm telling you, that kit was a savior. Also, in the video, you'll see how the glue was applied using another tool to get glue into the porcelain, and then you coat one of the pins and let it sit in there for an hour to dry.

Very cool. Yeah, those plugs are soooo deep down there.
My #8 was so stuck, it snapped right below the hex part leaving the threads and everything else in the head.
..wanted to cry but drilled it out after all and install a bushing. Many curse words were thrown at Ford that weekend :)

Very cool. Yeah, those plugs are soooo deep down there.
My #8 was so stuck, it snapped right below the hex part leaving the threads and everything else in the head.
..wanted to cry but drilled it out after all and install a bushing. Many curse words were thrown at Ford that weekend :)
OMG, I would have cried! haha... I too was tempted to drill, but I didn't have a long enough drill, and wasn't quite sure of what size. I'm glad I sat around for a few hours researching and calling local places for that Lisle 65600 tool, or something like that. But then Auto Zone hooked it up. Glad you got it done!

Congrats!! Thank for sharing, I'm sorry your plug broke but good job taking care that stuff!

Back