I found this pic. Can you identify it? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I found this pic. Can you identify it?

Tate, Popular Mechanics just did an artical on the Cobra R vs. the new Z06 Vette. Unfortunately the R is heavier than the Vette so it was slower. I really like the tail lights on that Explorer.

These are the specs:

DOHC 32v V8/5.4/330.1(Lincoln Navigator)
385bhp @ 4250rpm
comp-9.6:1
Rear end 3.55 LS
Tranny 6M(6 speed manual)

Gear Ratios 1/2/3/4/5/6
2.97/2.07/1.43/1.00/0.80/0.62:1

Weight/per HP
3595/9.3(ZO6 3122/8.1)

0-60 4.69
1/4 12.87

View

View

[Edited by 2001ExpSport on 11-06-2000 at 09:28 PM]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by 2001ExpSport: Matt
DOHC 32v V8/5.4/330.1(Lincoln Navigator)
385bhp @ 4250rpm
comp-9.6:1
Rear end 3.55 LS
Tranny 6M(6 speed manual)

Matt, do you know or does anyone know how these heads compare to the Cobra's heads (non-R)? Also, trucks and the Expeditions are SOHC aren't they? Is the Cobra R that similar (or even the same) to the Navigator's engine? One final question for Matt or anyone else...does that Cobra R have the T-56 in it? What torque does the 56 handle?

[Edited by Tate Myrick on 11-06-2000 at 09:44 PM]

Originally posted by Tate Myrick
Originally posted by 2001ExpSport: Matt
Matt, do you know or does anyone know how these heads compare to the Cobra's heads (non-R)? Also, trucks and the Expeditions are SOHC aren't they? Is the Cobra R that similar (or even the same) to the Navigator's engine? One final question for Matt or anyone else...does that Cobra R have the T-56 in it? What torque does the 56 handle?

[Edited by Tate Myrick on 11-06-2000 at 09:44 PM]

Tate,

The R has a 5.4 V8 and the SVT has a 4.6, I don't believe the heads are the same.

It depends on the package with the trucks. The Navigator/Expedition has a different set of engine packages.
The Explorer comes with either a 205 hp SOHC or a 160 hp OHV(pushrod). I don't know anything about the Expedition or Navigator engine packages, but my guess is they are DOHC like in the R. The 5.4 V8 put's out 300hp for the Nav and Expedition.

The R runs on a Tremec 6-speed manual. The article didn't say anything about the torque converter nor did the Saleen site.

It depends on the package with the trucks. The Navigator/Expedition has a different set of engine packages.
The Explorer comes with either a 205 hp SOHC or a 160 hp OHV(pushrod).

....in addition to the optional 5.0 V8 (OHV) and in 2002 model year, the new 4.6 SOHC V8.

I don't know anything about the Expedition or Navigator engine packages, but my guess is they are DOHC like in the R. The 5.4 V8 put's out 300hp for the Nav and Expedition.

Expedition: 4.6 SOHC (Triton V8)=215 hp
Expedition: 5.4 SOHC (Triton V8)=260 hp
Navigator: 5.4 DOHC V8=300hp

More information...thanks for the information you offered. I knew what was offered in the Explorer, but I did not know what heads were in the Navigator and Expedition. I thought that they were different, because of the performance. What do you guys thing about OHCs? The OHV will be gone. The new four door will no longer have the OHV 302 as an option. The 4.6 and 5.4 have the same block. Crazy consideration...take a new Explorer (four door) and put a Navigator (Cobra R) crank in along with the same heads. This would be a nice package on the 2002 Urban Explorer. Remember the Tremor? It had basically the Cobra engine of today. I wish I was John Coletti. Check out the Tremor Dead Link Removed. I wonder how that IRS compares to the IRS in the new Explorer and Cobra. I also wonder if Ford will ever use that V10 in a performance vehicle.

[Edited by Tate Myrick on 11-07-2000 at 09:55 PM]

Nice, I like the Tremor. It's a shame it's not a production model or at least a Saleen mod.

Here is a modified Explorer you guys might like to see.

Slow connection
Troll Dyno
Fast connection
Troll Dyno

[Edited by 2001ExpSport on 11-08-2000 at 04:35 PM]

I love that video. I watch it at least once a day. Look at the front end raise. That engine in the Zimmerman Explorer or Rick's Explorer would be awesome. No offense to you other guys with nice Explorer's out there, but I think these two are some of the best on the site. Everything else would be my own. Paint job and interior is what makes it personal.

[Edited by Tate Myrick on 11-08-2000 at 06:47 PM]

Back