I got Herculiner on my front bits...and fixed something dangerous! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I got Herculiner on my front bits...and fixed something dangerous!

V8BoatBuilder

Transplanted Bostonian
Reaction score
City, State
East Brunswick, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer V8 4x4
In the interest of safety I wanted to redo my tow hooks, because when I installed them back in 2002 I didn't know as much and did this:

hooksbumper01.jpg

So this is wrong because:
1) Bolts are unrated
2) 1 1/4" of stacked washers puts an immense moment on those bolts and the frame in the event of a hard tow. I didn't have a problem, but that's no excuse for abandoning proper engineering practice.

As you can see, the tow hooks are hitting the bottom of the bumper.

So that meant taking off the bumper to get at the nuts:
hooksbumper02.jpg

Once the bumper was off, I trimmed the part where the tow hooks were hitting:
hooksbumper03.jpg

While I had the bumper off, I stripped everything from it and decided to treat the rust on the inside with "Rubberized Undercoating"

hooksbumper04.jpg

And then mount the tow hooks properly, with Grade 8 Hardware, flush to the frame.
hooksbumper05.jpg

I may go back and drill a new hole for the hooks, and move them aft so that the front bolt is not in that slot. Thoughts? Worth it?

Since I couldn't leave well enough alone, I went to Autozone and purchased a quart of Herculiner:
hooksbumper07.jpg

And didn't stop with the bumper:
hooksbumper06.jpg

So right now the Herculiner is drying, which is crappy since it's 40 degrees out. The stuff stinks, so the garage door is open, but the heat is on, so we'll see how long it takes for a cure while I contribute to global warming.

Not shown in these photos (I'll snap some before I reinstall the bumper) are the holes I drilled into the frame horns and bumper to lift the bumper higher than stock, to make it all fit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how do you apply that stuff? is it spray on or roller? Looks good :D cant wait to see it all back on the truck

Maniak, thanks im new to the forum still and im not use to the lay out yet and I didnt know there was a how to on it. Thanks

I just read the first page of that link....omg i feel so bad for that guy lol, If i do decide to use it I will make sure to use rubber gloves!

now that you mention it.. I think there was a how to.. I'll look around..

~Mark

lets see herculiner, 40 degrees, should be dry sometime around June LOL

I also have used the redneck "bake on enamel finish" when its 8 degrees outside, cant let winter stop progress!!
2893tmountpaint.jpg

Glad you got those bolts out of there, holy crap man! Last thing we need is a 47,000 mile an hour 3# metal hook followed by umpteen washers spread out like buckshot!

Glad you got those bolts out of there, holy crap man! Last thing we need is a 47,000 mile an hour 3# metal hook followed by umpteen washers spread out like buckshot!

What I did there is the DEFINITION of "A little knowledge is very dangerous."

Teaser Pic:

IMG_6921.jpg

I'll get better ones outside.

Is the gray part of the bumper going to remain gray?

Is the gray part of the bumper going to remain gray?

Yes... It looks really good - the rest of the bumper almost disappears and the thin gray remains.

I'm going to herculine the rockers, but leave the gray molding so the truck will have a 2" gray "stripe" all around.

wow those washers are even sketchier than some of my handywork :p:

looks good

Looks good from what I can see. I would get some of that UV protection stuff hurculiner makes to put over it as it fades really quick.

so we'll see how long it takes for a cure while I contribute to global warming.

That's okay, we are all SUV drivers here so you won't get any "heat":)p:) from us for you actions. I for one am not worried about it....

And then mount the tow hooks properly, with Grade 8 Hardware, flush to the frame.
hooksbumper05.jpg

Speaking of washers, why are the washers between the hook and the frame rail? All that does is provice a spot to compress when you yank on the hook (since the washers are relatively soft compared to the frame rail or the hook). Once the washer compresses a little bit, you lose the pre-load on the bolt, and it's free to loosen up.

Ordinarily, a washer would be used to spread the load of the head of the bolt or nut across a larger surface area to help prevent damaging the surface, or tearing it through the metal it's attached to... Sandwiching them between the hook and the frame doesn't make much sense to me (Which is why I had to ask...)

-Joe

the explorer frame is not exactly "level" right there, I have seen the washers on just about every install I have seen. on the Gen I trucks the hooks would be installed with no washers on the rear bolt and 2-3 on the front bolt, Without doing this the hook would not be as accessible from the front of the truck

I would just check the preload on those suckers and use some nylock nuts and/or lock washers on the back side
After you get a good yank, check the torque

of course never stand in the danger zone when strapping a truck, and hang something on the line like a thick blanket

If you removed the washers, how flat would the hook sit against the frame?
If its flush or close, for re assurance you could weld them in a few spots?

the explorer frame is not exactly "level" right there, I have seen the washers on just about every install I have seen.

That's the precise reason I had to leave 1 washer in there. If I didn't then the hook would not have sat flush to the frame. The hook would be in the exact position, but unsupported.

The "inside" hardware assembly uses 1 washer, a split-ring lockwasher, and a grade 8 nut.

Think I'll be ok, or am I still asking for trouble?

Well Ill just say I have wheeled with many guys with hooks setup just like that and never seen an issue, even on some very hard pulls..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Using it as a spacer is a different situation... I couldn't tell that from the picture, that's all. It just piqued my curiosity, so I had to ask, that's all. Makes sense though... With that in mind, keep an eye on them and make sure they don't loosen up with use.

Back