I Got Lucky The Second Time...The Ford Store San Leandro, CA | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I Got Lucky The Second Time...The Ford Store San Leandro, CA

DustySport

Reaction score
City, State
A Bankrupt State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
I have a 2013 Explorer Sport with 89K on the ode, I recently had 3-fuel injectors (#4,5 & 6) replaced and all 6 plugs because the 3 injectors all supposedly "blew out" and were washing the cylinders with so much gas that it fouled out the spark plugs. My shop (an ASE approved independent) looked at it first and told me it was the injectors but because they don't have the high pressure testing equipment for Ecoboost style injectors that I would have to take it to the dealer, my shop didn't charge me a dime for this diagnostic service...

So I took my Explorer Sport to The Ford Store in San Leandro, CA where I bought it new, right from the get go they wanted to charge me $240.00 just to look at it, I was dealing with the store's service manager, Phillip Balbuena. So as noted above The Ford Store reports #4,5,6 injectors bad, need to be replaced and while they were in the engine they wanted to replace all 6 plugs, this would cost me $2,510.00

While it was at The Ford Store of San Leandro I had them address the clicking front driver's side axle problem referenced under TSB #13-5-14 and/or TSB #14-0186 described as, "TING/POP/CLICK NOISE - FRONT HALFSHFT." Of course it was out of warranty so I had to pay to get this FoMoCo design defect repaired...In my opinion if there's a factory design defect and there's a TSB issued on it the repair should always be covered at no charge but because I don't typically take my car to the dealer for service it was never repaired under warranty terms...

So here's where it gets interesting, I authorized The Ford Store of San Leandro to do the work and after a week I called Phillip for an update, I never heard back from him...I called him several times and left messages, I even left a message with the receptionist, still no reply phone call from the service manager Phillip that I was dealing with, finally I went down to The Ford Store and talk to Phillip face to face, it went like this, "Phillip, I called you several times but never heard back from you...?" Phillip's stoned-faced reply, "I never got your messages, your car will be ready tomorrow." No apology, no customer care, no concern that he let his customer down and this is the freaking service manager...!

So I get my Explorer the next day, $2,510.00 for the fuel system repair and $400.00 to repair the driver's side axle that should have been a no charge repair, IMO, $2,910.00 total.

The next day the check engine light comes on again...

So I take it back to The Ford Store and they report back that both catalytic converters were bad and all 3 oxygen sensors were also bad, Philip told me that the amount of fuel washing through the cylinders was so great that the fuel collected in the converters and burnt them out, I am familiar with this happening because I've burnt out the stock catalytic converters on my 2007 GT500 Shelby Mustang after a supercharge swap out. So Phillip reports that this next repair will cost $2,180.57 to replace both catalytic converters, 3 oxygen sensors and the labor. I tell Phillip I have to think about it and I'll call him back. About an hour later I call Phillip back and get his voice mail, as usual, and leave him a message to "go ahead and do the work on the exhaust."

A week goes by and I start calling Phillip...He never returns my calls. So I go down to The Ford Store in San Leandro, CA to talk to Phillip Balbuena, the service manager, face to face and he tell me again with a stone face, "I never got your message to do the repair." Well, this was now unacceptable and I inform Phillip that I would be picking up my car that afternoon and he was not to do any service work on my vehicle.

The next day I take my Explorer back to my independent auto repair shop and tell him what's going on and show him the estimate from The Ford Store because its got the error code on it, PO430, which indicated that the left cylinder bank's catalytic converter, the side with the bad injectors, was not functioning. So my shop replaces the one catalytic converter with the OEM FoMoCo catalytic converter and it's back on the road with no problems for $792.86 from my independent repair shop.

In all honesty I should be thanking Phillip Balbuena, the service manager at The Ford Store in San Leandro, CA, for ignoring his customers, because he shined me on I pulled my car out of his shop and saved myself from getting ripped-off for parts and labor that I didn't need, this saved me $1,387.71.

Thanks Phillip, you and The Ford Store of San Leandro, CA will never see me again and I've bought 3 new Ford vehicles in the past 10-years...

If anyone would like to see the service bills and estimates I'd be happy to PM them to you, just send me a PM.

Dusty

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One last note, ever since I got my Explorer back from The Ford Store after the injector system repair it's smelled of anti-freeze, it never smelled like anti-freeze before , I don't think The Ford Store of San Leandro, CA sealed the engine back up correctly and now I have an anti-freeze leak...

In all my years of owning vehicles, a reputable independent shop is where I bring both new and old vehicles in for servicing and repairs, other than warranty related items.
Stealerships, as I refer them as; will gouge you to death.

I had a great relationship with my Jeep dealer in Atlanta. It wasn't even the one I bought it from, because that one was 40 miles away. With the exception of tires and one oil change, they did everything on my Jeep, including oil changes, because first Chrysler, and then the dealer, was sending out $20 oil change coupons.

I had the same with a KIA dealer in Atlanta, which did everything on it until I moved here. I tried both dealers here, and one wasn't terrible, and the other was decent. Same deal, between the three, they did everything but tires.

So, it's possible to find a good one. I prefer female service advisors, because they seem to be less inclined to try to screw you. Really, it comes down to the culture the owner creates, and whether or not the service manager abides by it.

I've only visited one of the Ford dealers here so far, and I wasn't impressed, at least with the service advisor I got stuck with. I dealt with their parts department, and parts manager, and they went above and beyond. Next service, I'll be trying the other dealer.

I am trying to get my head around the $2500 spent to replace 3 injectors and six spark plugs. Is pulling the engine to perform these tasks part of it. I don't have an ecoboost so, I haven't bothered to check on procedures to accomplish these tasks and now I'm curious. I will be studying my repair manual to find out. In the meantime the word 'fleecing' comes to mind.:eek:

I don't think a 'blanket' statement like that is fair or accurate. Have had all my work done at the dealerships I've dealt with and never has any issues or never felt I was being 'gouged. Not saying it doesn't happen and that there are some dealers like that but it isn't right to paint them all with the same brush.

Peter

I don't think a 'blanket' statement like that is fair or accurate. Have had all my work done at the dealerships I've dealt with and never has any issues or never felt I was being 'gouged. Not saying it doesn't happen and that there are some dealers like that but it isn't right to paint them all with the same brush.

Peter
Totally agree with that statement. I have seen terrible dealerships and some great dealerships. The terrible ones don't last very long before closing the doors.

That being said, the OP here got royally screwed on that repair job.

I took my vehicle to a shop for two tires. Five hours later I get a call wanting to replace my battery wipers and radiator, tires still not done. I do all of my own repairs.

Peter
If you only knew my friend.
Dealerships makes money from services, not selling you new vehicles.
I have incriminating dashcam footage, from a very reputable dealership here in Ottawa charging me for inspection+oil change; in which nothing else was performed other than the oil change.
I was contacted by both Service Manager, Shop Forman and the owner of the dealership to rectify and I politely told them where to go and to never contact me again for service reminders.

Now wait for this, not only did I capture such shady practice with Ford, the same was at Lexus (go in for an oil change, they ask if you want the full 1001 point inspection) I bite same thing; nothing of the sort was done.

If you only knew my friend.
Dealerships makes money from services, not selling you new vehicles.
I have incriminating dashcam footage, from a very reputable dealership here in Ottawa charging me for inspection+oil change; in which nothing else was performed other than the oil change.
I was contacted by both Service Manager, Shop Forman and the owner of the dealership to rectify and I politely told them where to go and to never contact me again for service reminders.

Now wait for this, not only did I capture such shady practice with Ford, the same was at Lexus (go in for an oil change, they ask if you want the full 1001 point inspection) I bite same thing; nothing of the sort was done.
That still doesn't apply to ALL dealerships as you suggested.

Google it...
No need to Google it because I know it isn't true based on my experiences. I would say that there are likely as many independent garages guilty of what you claim. Dealerships have more to lose as well.

In all my years of owning vehicles, a reputable independent shop is where I bring both new and old vehicles in for servicing and repairs, other than warranty related items.

Yeah, stealership charged me $90 to put in 2 filters besides the regular oil change, bill came out to about $180 for oil change and a few filters. After oil change service manager came up to me and said that they are suggesting that the 2 filters needed to be changed. I said, "yeah sure, no problem". Only at the very end I saw the bill and I said I could have changed cabin filter myself and saved almost 100 bucks.

Its always good to get to know one of the Indy shops, especially if your car is close to or running out of warranty if you want to pay 75% more for labor.
Not only dealerships make money from service dept but for selling extended warranties and service plans. That's is why they always match the others best offer.

That's still an expensive oil change if you deduct $90 for the filters.
I had my first service done today and oil/filter and disposal fee came to $47.99. $28 to remove Winter wheels/tires and install the OEM wheels/tires and $36 to store the Winters. Alignment checked and fluids top up. I also saved $24 on the oil change with a promotion coupon. That discount is not reflected in the price I mentioned. All in all a very pleasant experience. Keep in mind all $ figures are CDN. It would be substantially less in U.S. dollars.

Peter

I had my first service done today and oil/filter and disposal fee came to $47.99. $28 to remove Winter wheels/tires and install the OEM wheels/tires and $36 to store the Winters. Alignment checked and fluids top up. I also saved $24 on the oil change with a promotion coupon. That discount is not reflected in the price I mentioned. All in all a very pleasant experience. Keep in mind all $ figures are CDN. It would be substantially less in U.S. dollars.

Peter

Yeah, I did the Fords special, "the works" package for $40 or $45, and an additional $50 or so for 2 filters, the rest of it labor. Towards the end of my visit I show my "$25 dollar discount for any service coupon" with a big smile, thinking that I will save something. Service manager reports that the oil change "Is Not A Service", its a routine task".

Well its a service, they serviced it by draining oil and changing the oil filter.

Well its a service, they serviced it by draining oil and changing the oil filter.

I thought so too. I asked, it must of have been a service for oil? But the service manager replied "nah, oil change is a regular maintenance. Its a coupon that I received several times in mail, "$25 dollar off for any service". Its not about the money, its all about customer satisfaction, Ford is still far behind in customer satisfaction then Lexus or any other German brands.

Peter

Alignment check for free?
You sure they actually put your vehicle up for an alignment?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, stealership charged me $90 to put in 2 filters besides the regular oil change, bill came out to about $180 for oil change and a few filters. After oil change service manager came up to me and said that they are suggesting that the 2 filters needed to be changed. I said, "yeah sure, no problem". Only at the very end I saw the bill and I said I could have changed cabin filter myself and saved almost 100 bucks.
I put synthetic oil in my EX and it's about $60.xx before taxes (filter+oil).
Due to oil changes being a loss leader, they always want to throw in the BS 1001 point inspection, that they don't perform.

Back