I guess my 98 Sport did not come with keyless entry... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I guess my 98 Sport did not come with keyless entry...

sc012v

Reaction score
City, State
Mason, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT, 98 Sport, 90 XLT
I see occasionally that people say 98's and later models all came with keyless entry standard... well I guess not. My 98 doesn't have the RAP module, thus no keyless entry. Anyone ever try to integrate one?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go to walmart and buy the bulldog security keyless entry (you don't need the remote starter one or the alarm one.... just the keyless entry unit). It is easy to add especially since all the wiring stuff that you need access to is right in the rear cargo compartment with good access thru the jack panel. I did this for my 96 and works fine.

Is also wireless keypads on ebay that work well, about 50 bucks

How did your 98 Sport NOT come with keyless entry? It was standard on the Sport for '98....

Are you sure you don't have the RAP module?

548488.jpg

548489.jpg

548495.jpg

-Joe

gijoecam said:
How did your 98 Sport NOT come with keyless entry? It was standard on the Sport for '98....

Are you sure you don't have the RAP module?
-Joe

Nope- no module. I had the entire cover off. It's not a fully loaded Sport, but has power windows, locks, AC, cruise, CD, etc. So it's not a stripped model.

Hmmm.... interesting.... I wonder if someone swiped the RAP module out of it? I was looking at the schematics and it doesn't appear that there's anything that wouldn't work without it.....

Is there a plug there for it? If so, I suspect it would work if you bought one and plugged it in.

Odd.... v ery odd.....

-Joe

gijoecam said:
Hmmm.... interesting.... I wonder if someone swiped the RAP module out of it? I was looking at the schematics and it doesn't appear that there's anything that wouldn't work without it.....

Is there a plug there for it? If so, I suspect it would work if you bought one and plugged it in.

Odd.... v ery odd.....

-Joe

No plug and nothing in the main harness coming through there that would appear to be for the RAP module. Trust me- I thought of that possibility.

What tipped me off is when I tried to program a remote and it would not respond after doing the programming procedure where the doors automatically lock.

Ah, yes. Great info. A winter project.... Thanks!

Well, I'll be.....

Just pulled out the brochure for '98, and I'll be darned.... I thought that if it had the power locks, it was a part of the program, but I guess not. Turns out there were actually three different option packages offered, not the two I originally thought. The XL (930A) was only available in 2wd and was totally stripped-down.... No tinted glass, no side steps, no luggage rack, no floor console, no electronics group, no overhead console, no power equipment group, no floor mats or cargo cover, nothing more than a CD player, 4.0 OHV, 3.73 L/S gears...... Very stripped-down. It's actually listed in the brochure as a 2-door XL, not even called a 'Sport'

There were Two "sport" models offered. The first was the 931A which made the premium sport package optional (wheel lip moldings, bumpers, step bars, 15" chrome steel wheels on the 2wd, 16" aluminum rims for the 4x4s, 3.73 rear on the 2wd, 4.10 on the 4x4, privacy glass was standard, Running boards optional (unless you got the premium sport package) AT tires and luggage rack optional, captains chairs became part of the package, Power driver's seat was an option, it made the power equipment group standard (which is the power windows, power locks, power mirrors, accessory delay, and two-step unlocking system with lock/unlock button in the cargo area)gave you the option of the 4.0 Liter SOHC motor as well as the 3.73 L/S rear.

The next step up was the 934A package which was just the next step up. Mostly the sae options as the 931A package, but with Power cloth buckets being part of the package, leather being optional, Luxury group, high series console, and electronics group all being part of the package, autolamps, moonroof, and mach sound system being optional, and the 4.10 being an option on the 4x4. They would also throw in the mats and cargo cover as a part of the package.

The Electronics Group was, apparently, only available as a part of the 934A package on the Sport. That would have included 2 keyless remote transmitters, door keypad, anti-theft system, autolock/relock, and puddle lamps on the outside mirrors. I never knew there were three 2-door packages, so I guess that explains it, huh?

-Joe

Back