I hate 4.0 timing chains! 302 convert? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I hate 4.0 timing chains! 302 convert?

BadBoyJTB

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer Sport
Title says it all. 2nd 4.0 motor, 2nd timing chain. It's either V8 convert or it's getting parted. The timing chain skipped and blew a hole the first time. This time it's the tensioner. Pulled a 6" piece of steel out of my motor through the oil fillup hole and can't get the damn pulley off to replace it. Tired of them. Have a donor possibly if they are interchangeable as my bro is throwing a 351 Cleveland in his. Mine is a 1997 Explorer Sport and his is a 1993 Ford Bronco with a 302 pretty sure. What would need to be done? Have the motor from the Bronco plus what ever else is needed from a 1996 F150 which is interchangeable with the Bronco. I really hate to part it out but I highly doubt this will even come close to being able to be done. :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would go 302 I'm about to convert mine to carb if you want the explorer efi and ignition set up make me an offer lol. But yeah I love my 5.0 explorer , biggest hassle is exhaust. If your going to use the truck settup wiring and not sure if the truck intake will work I've never tried but for the most part it all should be strait forward , tranny and drive line is going to be another factor. The transfer case won't fit so that will have to be changed.

I have a 5.0 trans, transfer case and both driveshafts. I switched my Ex to rear wheel drive. The shipping would probably be pretty pricey coming from NC though.

Does the '97 have any weird issues with the conversion? It's not quite the ******* model year that the '96 is, but it's close.

When my SOHC starts making noise, I'm doing the 5.0l conversion as well.

ive done a v8 swap in my sport (and its now talking on a whole new level....). best advise i can give you is this. buy a donor that is the same year as yours. then you have all the parts you need. here is the list i made up when i did mine.

the shopping list is
trans
motor
transfer case (if your 4wd) or do a 4406 swap
drive shafts
rad/condenser ***update, 4L SOHC rad/condenser will work***
a/c lines
power steering lines, and cooler
motor harness, and wiring from alt to battery ***update, 4L underhood body harness will mate to 5L motor harness, however, oil gauge wire, and a/c wires need to be modified to work***
throttle cable
trans shifter cable (not sure if i will need it, but hey) ***update, 5r55e cable will work***
air filter box ***update 4L SOHC box, and sensor will work***
exhaust from manifolds to muffler
fuel pump (not sure if needed but.....) ***update, 4L SOHC pump will work***
g.e.m.
p.a.t.s. (if your truck has is)
key ring around ignition cylinder, and ignition cylinder
locks including hatch lock
radio bezel (just because it doesnt have the 4x4 switch in it)
computer
cruise motor with cable
evap lines

your sport will need a shorter shaft made. there is not way around that. depending how fast you are, plan on it taking a week to 2 weeks to do it.
its not to hard (i have done worse, and i am not a mechanic, but i am mechanically inclined), its just time consuming .

Back