I hate the key fob (intelligent key) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I hate the key fob (intelligent key)

phareous

Reaction score
City, State
USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
None
This thing is so huge and I ended up having to put a leather cover on it because the panic alarm kept going off...so now it is even bigger. I wished they had designed it smaller and recessed the panic button. Anyone else feel the same way? I keep it in my front pocket with my wallet so a lot of the time it is pressing in on me... the other pocket has my cell phone so no room there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This thing is so huge and I ended up having to put a leather cover on it because the panic alarm kept going off...so now it is even bigger. I wished they had designed it smaller and recessed the panic button. Anyone else feel the same way? I keep it in my front pocket with my wallet so a lot of the time it is pressing in on me... the other pocket has my cell phone so no room there.
When not wearing jeans with that little 'coin' pocket, I also carry the key in my front pocket and have not had any problems. Wallet in back pocket, cell phone in generic case clipped to my belt. The case also keeps it from getting scratched. When I received the keys from the dealer, one of them had a large belt type clip attached to it.
The key fob is rather on the large side. My Highlander fob was much smaller but it didn't have remote start or the proximity sensor equipment (chip?) incorporated into it.

Peter

I don’t find it that big. I do however have it on a key chain so maybe that is why? I do hate however that Ford has no where to keep the key once in the car. We had a rented BMW once and there was a key holder located under the push start button I wish ford did that.
- Justin

Tie a string on it and boldly show it off as a inside or outside the shirt/blouse neckless.......

There is a location for the key. It's in the front center console. Open it up and drop it into the upper tray closest to the driver.

Tie a string on it and boldly show it off as a inside or outside the shirt/blouse neckless.......
Good idea. Just to add a little 'bling' to your wardrobe. :D:thumbsup:

Peter

I kept having the panic alarm go off as well so I "modified" the Fob.... I took it apart and disabled the button.

I took mine apart and put a piece of electrical tape over the contacts for the panic button to prevent it from going off.

I don’t find it that big. I do however have it on a key chain so maybe that is why? I do hate however that Ford has no where to keep the key once in the car. We had a rented BMW once and there was a key holder located under the push start button I wish ford did that.
- Justin
When take my Explorer in for servicing at the dealer, I just leave the key fob in one of the cup holders.
You can also throw into that compartment where the USB ports are, unless the weather gets cold and the door won't pop up.;)

Peter

There is a location for the key. It's in the front center console. Open it up and drop it into the upper tray closest to the driver.

Isn't there actually a dedicated key location at the front of the console? I think that's where you would have to put the fob to start the car if the battery was dead or if you want to program the fob as a MyKey.

Isn't there actually a dedicated key location at the front of the console? I think that's where you would have to put the fob to start the car if the battery was dead or if you want to program the fob as a MyKey.
Yes there is. But if your console is anything like mine, you woould have to dig down to get at it. I keep a couple of reuseable cloth grocery bags in mine along with other stuff. That location isn't very handy.

Peter

Yes there is. But if your console is anything like mine, you woould have to dig down to get at it. I keep a couple of reuseable cloth grocery bags in mine along with other stuff. That location isn't very handy.

Peter

Is it inside the console? I always wondered where the MyKey was suppose to go.
- Justin

Is it inside the console? I always wondered where the MyKey was suppose to go.
- Justin
Yes it is Justin. It is at the very bottom and front of the console. Right below where the catch for the lid (armrest) is.

Peter

I put me keys in my front pocket and let the fob hang out.. makes it easy to grab and pull my keys out when needed.

Yes it is Justin. It is at the very bottom and front of the console. Right below where the catch for the lid (armrest) is.

Peter

Found it while I was out. Sorta in a bad place though! Hate how you have to open and close the console every time you get out if running errands.
- Justin

I may ditch the leather cover and disable the panic alarm then

I'll often leave the fob in the console. To do this the doors have to be locked using the fob when you leave the EX. Unlock it with the doorpost keypad and you can just leave the fob in the vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree that you have a valid point. I have set the panic off a few times by mistake. Furthermore, your suggestion of a recessed button would help users identify the button in the dark faster.

Back