I have a 04 xlt v8 2wd and want to change the rear carrier can i go from 373 to 355 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I have a 04 xlt v8 2wd and want to change the rear carrier can i go from 373 to 355

dinks07

Reaction score
City, State
Newport News, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport trac 2wd
I think I have the 373 rear end and found a used one with a 1 year warranty with 50,000 miles I am putting it in my self at work. My question is can i go from 373 lsd to 355 no lsd. The rear end whines its ass off and i cant take it the truck is immaculate only 80,000 miles and its paid for I dont want to sell it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes you can, Your changing the whole carrier not just the inside parts? RPM at 60 will be a little lower, and you may feel a little loss of power.

Yes i found a whole carrier at a great price mine is making way to much noise between 45-70 mph. Once you let off the gas the noise is gone hit the gas and its there so i figue its the ring and pinion or bearings and the cheapest rebuild is 1600 around here so i can change the whole carrier my self and go from there plus it from a low milage 05 so that helps i hope. all i need to do is bolt in the new one right

Just remember that the 3.73 gearing was part of your factory HD tow package. Going to 3.55 (same as non-towing-package) is effectively reducing your MAX tow rating to 3500 lbs. If you ever sell the vehicle, you should disclose this to the buyer, since the 2" receiver will tell them it has the HD tow package. That might be fine if they don't plan to tow, since this truck will get better gas mileage.

Ok great I dont do any towing at all. I just want the gear whine gone and this route is the best and cheap. I dont care about limited slip at all just want the truck fixed and its paid so I donw want to get rid of it

Back