I have a california truck. How do I de-california-fy it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I have a california truck. How do I de-california-fy it?

kindaclean93

Reaction score
City, State
cali
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer EB
We're moving to Nevada soon, and my truck was originally made specifically for california, and I assume like every other car here it's dumbed down some. Even my rad support sticker says something about california. Any way to de-cali it? Picture because why not.
EPLOR.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As a rule this forum does not condone or support the removal of emissions equipment on any vehicle.

the only difference for a 93 explorer built for CA is you likely have EGR on that engine and a cam synchronizer, also the computer tune will be slightly different. IN 94+ all 4.0 had a cam synchro and EGR, so its not a big deal.
Otherwise same as any other 93 explorer.
Check to see if you have EGR, most 93 4.0 engines did not, only CA 4.0 did in 93.

Removing EGR will gain you NOTHING, in fact with EGR they get better performance and MPG....just fyi.

Once you cross the border it will no longer be known to cause cancer.

I'm honestly not sure that the gains (exceedingly minimal, if any) would be worth the hassle.

the only difference for a 93 explorer built for CA is you likely have EGR on that engine and a cam synchronizer, also the computer tune will be slightly different. IN 94+ all 4.0 had a cam synchro and EGR, so its not a big deal.
Otherwise same as any other 93 explorer.
Check to see if you have EGR, most 93 4.0 engines did not, only CA 4.0 did in 93.

Removing EGR will gain you NOTHING, in fact with EGR they get better performance and MPG....just fyi.
i believe my 99 was 50 state compliant sometimes they meet both ca and america standards , sometimes it could be engin trans combo or rear axil ratio. and its 27 yrs old i stay with stock parts make sure egr and tune is good

If it's running good, don't mess with it. Any gains you might achieve would probably be unnoticeable unless you go with MAJOR engine/intake/exhaust mods.

Actually I may be wrong on this, these trucks are getting older and so is my memory. I think in 94 is when the cam sensor and EGR started to show up on CA engines only
In 93 I dont think the cam sensor or EGR existed yet....93 is a great year for the 4.0 pushrod

Actually I may be wrong on this, these trucks are getting older and so is my memory. I think in 94 is when the cam sensor and EGR started to show up on CA engines only
In 93 I dont think the cam sensor or EGR existed yet....93 is a great year for the 4.0 pushrod

Yup, no EGR, no cam sensor, but you get the better heads. Makes it super easy to work on. 93 California got the EGR, but I'm not sure about the cam sensor. Either way, it's not worth the trouble to remove these items.

Your first statement was the best thing you did for you and your Explorer. Get out of California. Then get it to breathe better. Good move.

If you DO have the Cam Sensor then you have the Sequential fire Injectors and not the earlier Batch Fire Injectors. This gets a little bit better economy and power... a very little. :)

Back