I have a headlight installation question. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I have a headlight installation question.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I want to replace my headlight bulbs with the new silverstar bulbs......need a how too?? Thanks

Welcome aboard! :salute:

I recommend using the SilverStar Ultra's instead of the SilverStar's. I have had both and like the SilverStar Utlra's much better. :thumbsup:

The information is contained in the owner's manual. If you don't have an owner's manual, Dead Link Removed.

Here is the info from the owner's manual:

2007SportTracHeadlightReplacement.jpg

Hope this helps out. :biggthump

The key when replacing halogen or xenon bulbs is to make sure their surface does not get contaminated. These bulbs put out great amounts of radiation and operate at high temperature and pressure. If you touch the glass portion with your hand you will leave oils from your skin on the glass. This will cause the bulbs to fail prematurely from, I suspect, the oils absorbing more light than the surrounding glass and causing a temperature difference which leads to mechanical stress.

Inspect the new bulbs before you install them even though they should be clean out of the package. If they are dirty or you get them dirty on accident they can be cleaned gently with a paper towel soaked with Isopropyl alcohol. It is nearly impossible to install them without hitting up against something which of course re-contaminates them. Wear some powder free, I prefer nitrile, gloves and cup the bulb's glass in the palm of your hand. That way you can guide it into place with your hand protecting the glass.

When I replace bulbs I try to do them a few months apart. Because they become less powerful as they age if you replace both sides at the same time they will both go dim together. If you replace them a few months apart one will go dim while the other is still bright helping to maintain an even output. Here is a link to some cool information on halogen bulbs: Sylvania

I hate how on some of these newer cars, you have to take the headlight housing out. You may as well do a little research, get some part numbers, and replace all those lights.

I hate how on some of these newer cars, you have to take the headlight housing out. You may as well do a little research, get some part numbers, and replace all those lights.

I would love it if I could take out the headlight to replace the
bulb. Having to do it with the headlight in place and the lack of room to get your hand in there makes it a real PIA. Being able to pull the housing out and do the job sounds much better to me.

On mine, there is an access panel that flips open. But what I found to work best was removing the entire plastic trim piece behind the grill and above the headlights. It is only held on by four fasteners. Then for the driver side, remove the battery, and on the passenger side, remove the air filter. Now I've got plenty of room to do whatever I want.

On mine, there is an access panel that flips open. But what I found to work best was removing the entire plastic trim piece behind the grill and above the headlights. It is only held on by four fasteners. Then for the driver side, remove the battery, and on the passenger side, remove the air filter. Now I've got plenty of room to do whatever I want.

^^That's what I mean. It would be much easier to just remove three screws and pull out the housing.

Yeah, what happened to the gold old days when you could just raise the hood and reach in?

Yeah, what happened to the gold old days when you could just raise the hood and reach in?

everything became electronic so all that bs takes all the damn room away

Back