I have a hub problem that i cant figure out or find answer to! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I have a hub problem that i cant figure out or find answer to!

rrembold

Reaction score
OK i have a 1993 ford ranger xlt 4wd 4.0 i just replaced my auto hubs with the warn locking hubs. But for some reason when i engage my 4wd and the side pass axle shaft rotates it is pushing out into the hub and causing this coil looking washer to pop off the cam inside the hub and it makes a grinding noise and pulls to the left. its not the hubs i have replaced them and it still does this. im stumped to what it could be . bad u joint bad shaft i have no idea. anyone ever heard of this ?

below is the (coil looking washer looking thing that keeps popping out. it isnt the picture of mine but it is the same thing)

IMG00036-20100917-0926.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm having a similar problem so I'm gonna give this a bump.

Did you remember to install the splined washer and c-clip at the end of the axle? its job is to keep the axle shaft from pulling back in.

~Mark

yes but the shaft isnt sucking in its pushing out in to the hub popping that washer out of the hub. im lost it has new hubs and bearing. with the wheel off i got to turn it with the hub by hand in locked position and it pushes the hub from the rotor.

Oh, so your axle is going out, not in.

Sounds like your c-clip in the diff is missing/broken/off. To tell for sure... Pull off the hub/rotor/bearings and see if you can pull the axle shaft out.

The C-clip within the diff should keep the inner shaft (the one going in the diff) from moving. I should barely move. If you can pull on it and have it pull outward your c-clip came out.

You have 2 choices. replace the c-clip on the end of the axle in the diff OR look at the c-clip eliminator made easy thread and do that mod.

~Mark

edit: I found the thread. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256302

Oh, so your axle is going out, not in.

Sounds like your c-clip in the diff is missing/broken/off. To tell for sure... Pull off the hub/rotor/bearings and see if you can pull the axle shaft out.

~Mark

I'm confused :scratch: The Front axle on the Dana 35 will not simply come out through the spindle.

Steering_knuckle_labels_WEB.jpg

It won't come "out", but it will pull some. if the c-clip isn't on the end within the diff. The inner shaft should not pull out at all.

Now that I think about it though, you should be able to do this test without pulling off the bearings or rotor.. Just grab the inner shaft on the passenger side and pull it towards the outside. If it moves, the c-clip is not there.

The slip joint is probably close to frozen and the slip joint boot is normally very stiff so when you move the inner shaft the outter shaft will try to move too. Thats why I was thinking pulling the bearings etc, BUT, I forgot to say pull the spindle too But you should be able to tell if the c-clip is missing even without pulling the spindle.

~Mark

...I've had this very problem with loose spindle nuts/wheel bearings, passenger side only...

...The result became more apparent before I replaced the rotor...My inner bearing was wearing out the small wall separation between the inner/outer bearing allowing the spindle nuts to loosen up...

...A common sign of this would be a bent over, mushroomed, splined washer...(although the bent splined washer also happens with a long front droop)..

...Another thing that would also cause this piece to fall out of the hub is your bearings themselves heating up...Think of that piece as a spring..When it heats up it will loose it's spring strength and will not do it's job to hold the parts in the hub anymore...It in turn falls out of place and the parts in the hub are out of alignment as they can now move past their normal range of operation...

...You should be finding shavings in your hub from both of these problems...;)

...Also, be sure to make sure your pass side shaft is lubed properly and allowed to move freely...The 2 shafts should be able to move in/out on each other but may not be able to due to mud/rust, etc....

Well it has new bearings and rotor, when i turn the hub by hand you can see the hub come off the rotor like its being pushed when turned and it does this as soon as its turned but only when the hub is locked so i dont think its due to heating up. No shavings or damage to washer. Im stumped but first thing in the morning im going to go pull on that shaft and see if i get any play. this blows we just had an ice storm and my 4wd is screwed story of my life!

...Pictures of what you just described doing would sure help, along with a picture of your splined washer/outer c-clip installed...;)

...Who did the bearing rotor swap?

...If you had your location under your name, someone in your area probably could also lend a hand in person...:dunno:

Back