I have a problem with the 4R44E transmission in my 1996 Aerostar. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I have a problem with the 4R44E transmission in my 1996 Aerostar.

eddlg01

Reaction score
City, State
tampa, florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 aerostar
Hello every one...
eddlg01 1996 Ford Aerostar

Around a month ago my engine light came on and auto zone told me i was a shift solenoid... Change the filter and oil and it was find till today when the O/D light started flashing on n off and the transmission made a hard shifting noise going down into first gear... when hit the gas to pull forward transmission seems to be like in 2ND gear... turn car off and restarted an it was fine and the O/D light when off... 3.0 engine with 44,000 miles on it, 3 speed transmission with the O/D
The check engine light is off and couldn't remember the last code it game me for the shift solenoid

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your post into its own thread in the Aerostar section. Find out what the code number is. It's not a good idea to continue driving it the way it is since it's going into FMEM (limp) mode.

up to july 6,09 AAMCO TRANSMISSION is giving a free Transcan on any vehicle

Does a 2004 Ranger 3 speed O/D transmmisssion fits on a 96 Aerostar with a 3.0 engine and a 3 speed O/D transmission...

The 4R44E is a 4 speed transmission. The later model transmissions have a virtual 5th gear (computer controlled by combining gears). There are a few different parts such as the computer, wiring harness, DTRS, and possibly other things, so it's not a direct swap.

Thank you for the imfo...

Your Fluid Pressure Control solenoid is bad. Electronic Pressure Control (EPC) solenoid, the expensive one. $80 to $120.

Back