I have a question about the brown wire mod. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I have a question about the brown wire mod.

Randy96

Reaction score
City, State
lewes de
Year, Model & Trim Level
i have a 96 (2wd,4auto,4lo) i read the thread on the brown wire mod and it says after i cut the wire to connect both wires from splice to the center terminal on switch (this is for on-on just to add 4 high) my ? is do i have to cut the wire or could i just use a quick connect (the kind that the wire sits in and the metal tab get pushed down) to run wire to switch

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

gotta cut to break the circuit i believe

i was thinking that if i cut the wire then run both splices to the same terminal it would be as if it were never cut. not a big deal if it has to be cut just curious if the light bulb over my head was workin

I don't know where you read you connect it to the same terminal, but that is incorrect, as explorerguy89 said you have to cut the circuit.

the brown wire is the wire that tell the tc motor to activate if the tires are spinning and your not moving. so if you have this wire cut (or switched off) the tc never receives information to engage the tc.

If you have a '96, then you have a 2wd option on the dash switch. There is no need for you to do the brown wire mod; it will do nothing for you. It's purpose is to allow the later Explorers ('97 and up) to have a 2wd option, as they only have 4Auto, 4hi, and 4lo.

On your '96 turning the dash switch to 2wd performs the same function as the brown wire mod - it prevents the computer from activating the TCC and engaging the transfer case.

yes im turning 4 auto in to 4 high i just cut the wire like it said in the thread (for 95-96 4auto to 4high) instead of trying what i was thinking it works great thanks for the feedback

Back